Good books on cured meats?

Joined Oct 16, 2018
Was wondering if anyone could recommend books/authors in the subject of cured meat?

I have a few from Ruhlman, the Marianski Bros, and Steven Lamb who all seem to have big followings and respect - however, I've heard stories that Ruhlman has had to revise his books in the past because some of his recipes had been deemed relatively unsuccessful and unsafe ( my only cirticism of his recipes is that they tend to wander far off the 'traditional' path from time to time. Others seem to be highly critical of Lamb because he doesn't use nitrites/nitrates.

I guess everyone has their camp?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I have the Ruhlman, but haven't made much from it. I have a Garde Manger textbook from the Culinary Institute of America. I mostly do fresh sausage, not cured though.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I’d love to hear more about the Ruhlman story. His corned beef is on the salty side but never heard about unsuccessful/unsafe recipes.

For traditional cured meat recipes I’ve found Klutas’ “Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing” to be quite useful.

Joined Oct 16, 2018
I’d love to hear more about the Ruhlman story. His corned beef is on the salty side but never heard about unsuccessful/unsafe recipes.

For traditional cured meat recipes I’ve found Klutas’ “Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing” to be quite useful.

apparently, enough people reported that some of his salumi recipes went rancid that it became the primary impetus for issuing the revised edition of his Charcuterie book

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Oh dear… sadly I have a first edition copy. I really don’t like the idea of having to buy the revised edition. I hope that he posted errata somewhere. I’ll hunt for that.

Joined Oct 16, 2018
Oh dear… sadly I have a first edition copy. I really don’t like the idea of having to buy the revised edition. I hope that he posted errata somewhere. I’ll hunt for that.
I believe he has them on his website. The trouble will be figuring out which recipe was updated. I've seen several cheap copies of the revised edition on some of the bigger used book websites like thrift books and abe books

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I got the ruhlman book, first edition, and I definitely have some queries about the amounts of cure he uses. Some are severely overdosed!
Recommended books:
Marianski "home production of quality meats and sausages". They also have a good website and forum
Meatsandsausages.com
https://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/index.php?sid=69ad11fa3a6df726885ddd6d408f8f3e

I also really liked "charcuteria, the soul of Spain" from Jeffrey Weiss. It focuses solely on Spanish meats, but is a real beautiful book with great recipes and explanations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom