Good book on bread for beginners?

Joined Oct 16, 2018
I'd like to begin exploring baking my own bread. I'm looking for a good book on simple authentic bread recipes for people who have no experience. Nothing fancy - basic fundamental versatile breads like country loaves, and hopefully without the need of many, if any, complicated or fancy tools, molds etc

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I think there are quite a number of them.
What I would advise it to get a book that uses metric instead of imperial measurements (or both). They are just more precise (an get a scale if you don't have one ;) )

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Bernard Clayton. Complete book of breads. Covers the gamut, except perhaps, wild yeast sourdough... but a really good way to get started. This guy’s recipes are generally foolproof.

Joined Sep 27, 2019
Hey there, Tyler520!

There's only one bread book to recommend IMO:

THE BREAD BAKER'S APPRENTICE

Peter Rhinehart

You're welcome! :)

Joined Mar 4, 2015
Flour Water Salt Yeast- Ken Forkish.

That one takes you into wild yeast sourdoughs, but will start off with Lean dough using commercial yeast. The book gives a good walk thru of baking bread and brief explanation of ingredients and the role they play.

Dough: Simple Contemporary Breads by Richard Bertinet
and this one would be my second suggestion.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
And in making your bread learn BAKER'S PERCENTAGES. It's very easy math (algebra) that will simplify the recipes. No more using cups for measurements.

Latest posts

Top Bottom