Gold medal all purpose flour carb contents

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by strawberrylover, Oct 21, 2013.

1. strawberrylover

strawberrylover

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I bought gold medal unbleached all purpose flour and it says 7% carbs which is very good because i did a google search and type nutritional value carbs and a picture of king arthur unbleached flour came out which states 26% carbs which is not even 1/3 the amount of carbs in the king arthur flour, of course both is different brand. Is this even possible??

2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Check the label again, the % carbs is a percentage of the Recommended daily Allowance (RDA) and is based on serving size as stated on the label.

Most flours run 60%-80% carbohydrates, that is 60-80 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams of flour.

According to the Gold Medal nutritional label, http://www.generalmills.com/Home/Brands/Baking_Products/Gold_Medal/Brand Product List Page.aspx, a serving is 30 grams (1/4 cup) and that contains 22 grams of carbohydrates ( 22/30 = 0.7333 or 73.3% carbohydrates), however, that 22 grams is approximately 7% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of 300 grams for a 2,000Kcal/day diet.

3. strawberrylover

strawberrylover

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I checked the label online on the link you posted, thanks for teaching me how to read the label, didn't quite understand what it meant at first :)

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thank you Pete, for this is the first thing I taught at my Health Science class back in the '90s, how to read a label for carbs, protein and minerals.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013