Goko Hamono Knives (Kougetsu) vs Tojiro Shippu Dp Advice

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by SamBBQ, Aug 21, 2017.

1. SamBBQ

SamBBQ

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hey guys this is my first post so be nice :).

I currently own a 200mm Wustof Gourmet chefs knife and am looking for a Japanese petty knife, partly due to need and mostly due to a fascination with japanese knives that is starteing to develop after browsing these threads to much.

For my price range and consiering that i am in New Zealand I have narrowed it down to two choices;
    -The Tojiro Shippu Dp 130mm
    ( https://prochef.co.nz/index.php/product/tojiro-shippu-petty-130mm/ )

-The Kougetsu Shirogami Nashiji 120 or 150mm
    ( https://prochef.co.nz/index.php/product/shirogami-nashiji-petty-150mm/ )

As far as i can tell the differences are for the Tojiro and Kougetsu respectivly

-Stainless VG10 vs Carbon Shirogami

-Buffalo horn/Oak wood vs plastic/Ichii wood

-Factory made vs hand forged

-Damascus vs clad

Now for some additional information. I am a home cook so I'm not to worried about having to do additional maintenance on a carbon blade, I have just ordered a 1000/4000 combination stone and will begin practicing my sharpening skills on cheaper knives soon, and I love the aesthetics of the Japanese knives (even though I know that MAC is a great choice as far as functionality goes).

So does anyone have any experience with these knives as well as advice for when i buy one of the two.

Cheers everyone.

-Sam

2. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    There's not too much love around here for VG10, and in this case I don't feel the Tojiro justifies the price. the buffalo horn is a nice touch but not a big deal at all with a petty.

I'm guessing you want this one to cut up the smaller stuff, and not so much as a utility knife, that would make it the Kougestu. Nice profile and height, looks thin enough behind the edge. Shirogami gets sharper and much, much easier than VG10 which can be a great annoyance to deburr. You don't want to cut lemons, onions and tomatoes with carbon and just leave it there to sit without a rinse and wipe in reasonable time, but most of us rinse and wipe in a timely fashion even with stainless, no sense not to as even stainless corrodes, if not as fast. I always go through the motion right after cutting, it just goes with sweeping the leaving into the trash.

3. SamBBQ

SamBBQ

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks for the in depth advice. I am thinking of smaller stuff like chillis and tomatoes. I will get a pack of Victorinox paring knives for things like cutting string.

Maybe one day I will get a matching gyuto as well...

4. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
  5. SamBBQ

SamBBQ

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hmmm I'm not to sure about the import laws into New zealand. Any of these knives that you would recommend preferably hand forged.

6. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    JCK usually gets around the duties somehow and has $7 flat rate for shipping, I think K+S might be good with the duties also. Both proprietors respond well to emails.

At K+S the Itonomon/Minetoshi offerings are a great value. The V2 carbon steel holds an edge better than shirogami, and these are definitely thin at the edge and well ground in general. The stainless/semi-stainless works well also. The Blazen in R2 is a good value at JCK, not up on the rest of their lineup these days. But your Pick looks pretty good, good enough that I don't think you need to debate too much about it.