Going to the mall is now a possible danger?

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by nicko, Oct 12, 2001.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    It is interesting, yesterday I recieved an email that said that it is not advisable to go to the mall on October 13th because supposedly certain shopping malls will be the next target for attack. At first I thought this was just another urban legend, but I just had lunch with a good friend who recieved an email from another friend who works in the FBI computer crime division and told him it is a good idea to stay home on that day.

I hate buying into stuff like this but I am wondering if others have heard similar stories?

2. thebighat

thebighat

Haven't heard similar stuff, but we did have a discussion at work the other day on what would happen if nutcakes drove a truck full of explosives into a mall and set it off. I wonder if we're going to have the individual suicide bombers like they have in the MidEast- guys that slide into a pizza place, set off a bomb, and take out a couple of dozen people.
    On the way to work the other day there was the story about the guy passing the note on the airliner and how nobody knew anything was up till they saw a couple of USAF jets pull up beside them, and all of sudden I was very grateful there are people who are in that line of work, who are working to protect us, at great risk to themselves.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I also recieved that e amil, I was told the 31st not the 13th,
    hence we find ourselves being affected by the incredible Bulls**t
    that is intended to upset our life style.
    My wife and I will be getting on metro north in the morning and looking to spend a relaxing day in the city with my sister in law,Out to dinner at Craft.
    Am I nervouse?Yes I am,But somehow I need to deal with this total sence of uneasyness.

I think we need to find a way to balance our deep rooted feelings with a ability to go on, I will not be in a mall on the 31st because I am concerned with what I have heard,But if I close down completly then they have won.
    Fly your flag,hug your loved ones,use commen sence.

I am so excited about meeting people on the 27th and I wish many more we're able to attend.This incredible tool "cheftalk" has helped me through some hard times these past few weeks.

The example set here for love and peace,kindness and brotherhood should be a breath of fresh air.
    cc

4. isa

isa

I’m not sure what to say. Having to live in fear of a bomb or other terrorist act is a new thing for most of us living in North America. Do we now live in fear of what may or may not happen. Stay home. Avoid public places… No malls, no theatres, no concert halls. No public transportation. It doesn’t make sense. We can’t live in our little cocoon.

5. pastachef

pastachef

Hi Isa, Where are all of you getting all of those adorable icons?:) I collect penguins, and have for about twelve years. I read about the mall threat on a support group for people who must live with chronic pain. They are now saying it is a hoax, but the original date was to be October 31st - halloween. Also, there is a story about Osama Bin Laden being pictured on the front page of newspapers over there standing next to Bert from Sesame street. Anyone hear about that one? My girls at the sorority are terrified! Their parents are scattered all over the U.S. If anything happens here I will stay with them. I refuse to be scared, and, in secret have prepared the sorority house with back up food, water and medical supplies. I can't believe that other sororities haven't done so. I know this from talking to other cooks and housekeepers that work around there.Chef (just a cook and mom)

6. isa

isa

There will be many rumours and hoaxes circulating on the internet. I don’t think anything received by email should be taken seriously. I’m sure we all received daily emails informing us of a new source of danger be it cough syrup or terrorist attacks.

As for the penguin you can find him http://users.skynet.be/lamordia/avatarindex/. To use him you'll have to reduce its size and make the background transparent. If you have problem just send me a message.

P.S. My favourite animals are penguins and cows. Don't know why I always had a certain fondness for cows. It must be the milk.

7. pastachef

pastachef

Isa, I'll bet you also like the color scheme of black and white. My favorites to mix are black, white and red. I want those large black and white squares on my kitchen floor and red curtains, white walls and a red throw rug. Penguins look like they're wearing tuxedos. I like cows too, but my next favorite animal is the elephant, because they seem to be so emotional and family oriented.

8. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    THis supposed threat has been confirmed to be a hoax. Please folks, if you get such emails, do your homework before passing it along to everyone on your mail lists. (sorry, I'm not targeting anyone here) One weekend out of the malls is extremely destructive to the economy which is already suffering such a blow. Not to mention the effect this has on all our lowered morals. Life is scary enough as it is.

Here's the article if you need proof.

http://web.tallahasseedemocrat.com/c...cks.legend.htm

9. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I agree Anneke! My brother and I were just talking about this, and isn't it interesting they things that seem to be targets? Places such as malls in which you are right, a whole weekend with no one at the mall can greatly effect the economy. But what about the Anthrax scare and how it is being passed in envolopes that were mailed to people. Can you imagine if the US mail system stopped here what would happen? Look at the damage that was caused by having the airlines closed for two days.

We are not seeing fighter planes overhead, or nuclear bombs coming our way, but someone or some country is doing much worse from what I can tell. Do you think the media is to blame for much of this hype of do you think it is actually fairly acurate?

10. isa

isa

You're right Pasta. Love black & white. And red and green too.

I've always dream of having b & w tiles in my kitchen. So far no luck. I just moved in recently and the kitchen floor has recently been changed soI'll have to live with it for a very long time. :( It's a nice floor, a floating floor that looks like light wood. I think it's Swedish.

11. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Nicko,
    The media does have a knack for taking isolated events and turning them into nationsl crisis. They also have a tendency to fuel a fire in a way that is all too often counterproductive to national security efforts. Free speach is not always the most useful virtue when a country is at war. They obviously jumped the gun in broadcasting the Bin Laden tape a couple of days ago; they should have known better. They are playing right into terrorists hands I think, and hopefully that was a good lesson for them. I get very upset when I see CNN revealing their poll results regarding Americans' views on the 'effectiveness' of the air strikes. Lets be honest here: what does the average American person really know about these strikes? We know that bombs were lauched, and that's about it. We know nothing about strategy, targets, etc. Revealing that thirty percent of people think they might be ineffective is not only like asking a nuclear physicist to conduct brain surgery, it starts a wave of unfounded negativism regarding the government's military strategy, again to another point won for the terrorists. I don't mean to say that people are generally idiots, I just think that one needs full information before they can responsibly form an opinion about anything. And that's my commentary for today. Thank you and goodnight! :)

12. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    If you have questions on information you have received in e-mails, you can check out validity at

www.truthorfiction.com

13. bevreview steve

bevreview steve

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
    On an unrelated note, I was at a mall over the weekend... 20 min later a big gust of win collapsed the skylights over the food court. Minor injuries, but freaky...

14. marzoli

marzoli

Regarding the email about Halloween--one of my students received it. Strange stuff!
    My students have been generally nervous about all this. They have been asking if they should worry about terrorism in our rural area. I told them they have lived on the New Madrid Fault all of their lives, terrorists have always been able to strike in this country if they really wanted to, and it is like worrying about lightening. It's sort of sad to have to allay the fears of high school students. I hate to make the risks seem less than they are, but kids are so emotional and they love drama.
    As my grandmother once said, "It's not the world I expected!":confused: