Going to sound pretty dumb asking this....

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by midnightmistres, May 7, 2005.

1. midnightmistres

midnightmistres

is adding lemon juice to single cream a good idea?

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Depends on what your after.

3. midnightmistres

midnightmistres

sort of a sharp cream sauce for pork

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Can you share your thoughts on the procedure of the recipe?

5. midnightmistres

midnightmistres

i feel so embarresed doing this in front of professionals so i might not make much sense lol the idea was to brown the pork loin and then place in a slow cooker with single cream chives and the lemon juice to give a sort of sharp sauce for it... i hope that makes sense im only a wanna be lol

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You might want to do it at the end, or stir some yogurt in at the last moment. Good idea. How about going with double cream instead?

7. midnightmistres

midnightmistres

thanks kuan i might just use the double cream instead i have both in just needed to know i wasn't going to poison my family so i'll leave the lemon til the end :)

8. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No worries about asking questions around here.

Seeing that your from over the pond, why not brown your pork, add some stock and a nice ale, then scrape all the goodies from the bottom of your pan and slow roast. When the pork is done, just add some clotted or Devonshire cream.(don't boil at this point)

9. midnightmistres

midnightmistres

mmm you have me drooling now! lol that sounds amazing i'd have never though to try something like that :) thanks

10. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Just wanted to echo the sentiment that you should never worry about asking a question here. :D

And I envy you the variety of cream that you have available -- we have nothing like double cream here, unless we get it from "you" in little bottles at exhorbitant prices.

In general, if you want to add a bit of lemon to cream to sharpen the sauce and cut the richness, you should do it AFTER the cream has been cooked -- either after you boil it down a bit, or after the dish/sauce has been cooked.

You won't poison your family otherwise, just give them something possibly tasty but very, very UGLY!!! :eek: