Going solo with my cheesecake

Joined Sep 17, 2018
To be fair the OP did state that he was doing this on the side outside of his work kitchen, so that to me sounds like he works in the restaurant business and would know about a lot of these issues brought up. Plus I do not know how you can operate outside of the rules purposefully without the intent to do so?

And if he does work in a restaurant, who is to say it isn't somewhere that sells cheesecake and he could potentially be poaching customers from his employer. I'm sure Foodpump does not consider this person a threat or competition, rather he was referring to the situation of this happening in the industry on a whole and for some people it may lead to actual competition. And even if he does go bust with this venture, how much capital will he really have invested in it? Certainly not the same as someone who opened a brick and mortar bakery and went under.

At the end of the day it really isn't any of our business what this person does for themselves in their own home, but they should be prepared for any criticism or backlash from the professional community when they do this sort of thing.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
Hi dectra,

When I read the op’s posts it’s clear he doesn’t “ want to pay any overhead or stuff”, and that S/he is currently working in a commercial kitchen, and is not looking to rent or lease commercial space.

For the past 20 years I have been operating my own businesses, and dealing with customers on a daily basis. Obviously I’m not part of the federal justice system, but i have indeed “ skin in the game” when it comes to the hospitality industry.

I will now repeat myself: when a home baker starts in earnest in my neighbor hood, I spend a LOT of time “ re educating “ my customers, on why I can’t give 30-50% discounts, why I can’t “just forget about charging those pesky taxes”. I will also repeat myself when I tell you that commercial properties pay a whopping 433% more in property taxes than residential properties pay in my city.

Thanks
Food pump

Joined Nov 2, 2016
The point I’m trying to make is that the o.p. Is purposely trying to bypass all the criteria needed for a legitimate business, because he knows he can beat legitimate businesses prices, and yet wants to charge as much as a legitimate business.

Be that as it may, the cops and firemen need paying, the teachers need paying, and the sewer workers need paying, and the various gov’ts will just lean harder on the businesses for more money.

Perhaps I am not as cynical. You make a huge assumption that o.p. is intentionally trying to skirt the rules, and you do this without any actual proof. I see a guy trying to make cheesecakes. Realistically, how many can one guy make from home? How's that actually going to impact the market for that item?

Part of my view on this is that I've worked in the Federal Justice System for almost 20 years. I've seen, on a daily basis, people "leaping" to conclusions that are not backed by actual, verifiable proof of intent. It is too common to make assumptions about others; it's almost baked into the conversation most days.

That being said, the thrust of my post remains the same: he is *not* your actual competition. Odds are (and you'll likely agree) his business will fail...60% of new restaurants fail within the first year. And nearly 80% crash before their fifth.

Seeing him as a ne'er-do-well is fine; I get that if that's how you perceive him. But railing against him is like spitting in the wind.....
[/QUOTE]

To be fair the OP did state that he was doing this on the side outside of his work kitchen, so that to me sounds like he works in the restaurant business and would know about a lot of these issues brought up. Plus I do not know how you can operate outside of the rules purposefully without the intent to do so?

At the end of the day it really isn't any of our business what this person does for themselves in their own home, but they should be prepared for any criticism or backlash from the professional community when they do this sort of thing.
[/QUOTE]

So....you intimate he is in the "restaurant business". Perhaps he is. How many restaurants are up and running at full capacity? I my county, not a *single one*.

Which gets back to an earlier point I alluded to: Can it be that he's trying to keep the family roof over his head and/or keep his business from closing entirely? These are possibilities.

My point is simple: to attach "reasons" for other people's actions, without actually talking to them and discussing, in depth, why they are on the path they've chosen, is to apply your "best guess" as to why they do what they do. Not sure that the antipathy that has been directed to this guy is worth it....

Last edited:
Joined Oct 10, 2005
Which brings us right back, full circle, to me feeding my family and me keeping a roof over my head.

The big difference between a legitimate business and a non legitimate one is money. Specifically, taxes the business not only generates, but also collects on behalf of the various Govts. I made this point clear in my previous posts.

Reread the op’s response to my post, it’s clear he has no intention of following any business protocol, look at his profile and other postings on this site, he works in a commercial kitchen.

Anyhow, I think we’ve beaten this thread to death. O.t.o.h. there is a thread on the professional catering forum here with someone asking how much to charge for a catered meal for 100. Needless to say there are a lot of similarities...

Joined Nov 2, 2016
Which brings us right back, full circle, to me feeding my family and me keeping a roof over my head.

The big difference between a legitimate business and a non legitimate one is money. Specifically, taxes the business not only generates, but also collects on behalf of the various Govts. I made this point clear in my previous posts.

Reread the op’s response to my post, it’s clear he has no intention of following any business protocol, look at his profile and other postings on this site, he works in a commercial kitchen.

Anyhow, I think we’ve beaten this thread to death. O.t.o.h. there is a thread on the professional catering forum here with someone asking how much to charge for a catered meal for 100. Needless to say there are a lot of similarities...
I'd agree we've both covered our respective views ad nauseam . In the end, I understand you want to take care of you and yours, and he wants to do the same. I don't see how what one person is doing in a different market / town / city conficts with what another person is doing. The world's a big place....lots of room to agree or disagree.

Joined Feb 18, 2007
Makes me wonder why the OP didn't approach his work about using their space in off-hours. That's a win-win even if that kitchen is/was closed for the pandemic.

It's like when people ask if there's a discount if they pay cash (auto mechanic, tradespeople like carpenters, masons, etc); you're trying to get the cheapest price and to see if there's a way to beat the system.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
A couple of things I have learned along the way. People will not always like what I do. People will freely give me their opinion of what I do. The degree to which my tighty-whities get in a bunch is up to me.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Perhaps I am not as cynical. You make a huge assumption that o.p. is intentionally trying to skirt the rules, and you do this without any actual proof. I see a guy trying to make cheesecakes. Realistically, how many can one guy make from home? How's that actually going to impact the market for that item?

Part of my view on this is that I've worked in the Federal Justice System for almost 20 years. I've seen, on a daily basis, people "leaping" to conclusions that are not backed by actual, verifiable proof of intent. It is too common to make assumptions about others; it's almost baked into the conversation most days.

That being said, the thrust of my post remains the same: he is *not* your actual competition. Odds are (and you'll likely agree) his business will fail...60% of new restaurants fail within the first year. And nearly 80% crash before their fifth.

Seeing him as a ne'er-do-well is fine; I get that if that's how you perceive him. But railing against him is like spitting in the wind.....

[/QUOTE]

So....you intimate he is in the "restaurant business". Perhaps he is. How many restaurants are up and running at full capacity? I my county, not a *single one*.

Which gets back to an earlier point I alluded to: Can it be that he's trying to keep the family roof over his head and/or keep his business from closing entirely? These are possibilities.

My point is simple: to attach "reasons" for other people's actions, without actually talking to them and discussing, in depth, why they are on the path they've chosen, is to apply your "best guess" as to why they do what they do. Not sure that the antipathy that has been directed to this guy is worth it....
[/QUOTE]

I thought it was pretty evident from the OP's own words that it was "outside their work kitchen" and yes I do not know 100% they are in the restaurant business but critical thinking skills would lead me to believe a work kitchen would be related to the food industry. You keep stating that we do not know any facts about this person or situation and then assume that that they are in a restaurant that is not fully functioning at capacity and he is trying to pay his bills and feed his family. Your same principle applies to you and for all you know he could be getting extra cash to fuel a coke habit.

Again no one here is saying this person has no right to make cheesecakes, only that they should not expect to be able to obtain the mark ups and profits when comparing pricing to a legetimate bakery.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Student: Master, why are some people so stubborn and unruly ?
Master: Only when you want them do according to your wish.”

Top Bottom