Going on a Cruise..........

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by shimmer, Jan 5, 2003.

1. shimmer

shimmer

And I like to be prepared. What should I look forward to for culinary delights? And what should I avoid?

:bounce:

~~Shimmer~~

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    This one is highly dependent on the line you are going on. We took Royal Caribbean and thought the food was very, very mediocre- oh heck, it was a real disappointment. The desserts were esepcially so, as I'd looked forward to some indulgences (whipped topping, icky factory-tasting crusts, soggy puff pastry). A few entrees were good, but most of it was ordinary and unexciting.

My husband sailed on RC 11 years ago (before we married) and thought the food was good- even though it takes a lot for him to notice things like that. Carnival and Royal Caribbean have been disappointing for us in culinary terms. The best food I've had on a cruise was over 20 years ago in Greece on Sun Line's Stella Solaris.

At least you can get fresh veggies most of the time, and all of the lines have enough variety to please vegetarians as well as meat-eaters.

What line/ship are you sailing on?

3. shimmer

shimmer

Man oh man, that is NOT what I wanted to hear. We're sailing on Royal Caribbean, stopping in Key West, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. We will be doing the key lime pie circuit, because it is a family tradition that we must carry on (and heck, how often do you really eat key lime pie) in Key West, but I was looking forward to ship food.

Hmm.

~~Shimmer~~

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Shimmer, we were on a different route: Nassau, Coco Cay (their island) and Key West in four days; we sailed on Majesty of the Seas. Yours sounds like a week, and it would be a different ship- sounds like Monarch of the Seas, according to their website (www.royalcaribbean.com).

We went a year and a half ago, so maybe things have changed.... I hope so!

5. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I used to work on a cruise ship and we would always go ashore to eat! Actually, it wasn't that bad but not great either. The only thing you can say about it is, there is a lot; all the way from breakfast to the midnight buffet (and a snack from the pantry in the middle of the night if you want one.) It seems to me that quantity rules out over quality on a cruise ship. A cruise is not something I would do for a culinary experience I think.
    Of course, this was 20 years ago so I don't know what it is like today.

Jock

6. fodigger

fodigger

I took a cruise on R/C a few yrs ago and the food and service were very good. Buffets weren't all that good good though and I must agree the desserts were kinda bland and just notn all that good.

7. shimmer

shimmer

Well, the desserts were in fact pretty bland. That was disappointing. Most of the vegetarian fare was eggplant based. I think RC has a stock in eggplant!

I watched a cooking demo, and that food was amazing. Anything with ethnic flavors was great.

On my comment card I expressed my amazement at the quantity, but that if they simply tasted everything before serving, they would have excellent food rather than mediocre. Some dishes could have been greatly improved with the addition of a little herbs, a little salt, a little butter, etc. Simple improvements can make a world of difference.

The presentation was always flawless, and the service was amazing. But the food.... well.... at least I didn't have to cook.

~~SHimmer~~

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What a shame about the food. How was the rest of the voyage?

9. shimmer

shimmer

It was great all except for the "at sea" day. It was really stormy and the rocking messed with my head. I finally took Dramamine, took a nap, and went to lower floors, which helped a lot.

We went snorkeling in Cozumel, explored the Chacchoben ruins in Costa Maya, went bargaining in Costa Maya (I did mine in Spanish!!), and went key-lime-pie sampling in Key West. Now THAT was excellent dessert!

The shows were superb, the activities were fun, the ship was incredible. You just have no idea how massive and impressive these things are until you're on them.

The sunsets and sunrises were also amazing. Can't give RC the credit for that, but whoever planned that gets an A.

I also lost five pounds during it, believe it or not, since we were so active and took the stairs instead of the elevator. =)

10. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Wow! That must be a record, to lose 5 pounds on a cruise. Good for you to stay so active! I'll remember that if we take another cruise, because I usually gain 5 pounds in a week.

It sounds like you had a ball!

11. lsharrott

lsharrott

I had about the same experience on RC. I’ve also been on Celebrity and Norwegian. Service and presentation on all three was great. In the main dinning room the worst food was RC and the best was Celebrity. Norwegians food was good but they also have what they call “free style” cruising. This basically means that they also had about four or five other themed restaurants on the boat. Nice for a change of pace but all had an additional charge of between $10 and $20 per person.