Goat/ewe milk in philly

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by shahar, Mar 9, 2006.

1. shahar

shahar

I started making cheeses for my menu. What I would love to get is some goat or sheep milk.

Any one in philly knows of a way I can get some stuff delivered for a reasonable price. Non of my purveyors got a clue. I can't drive and pick up from anywhere and I'm looking for wholesale quantities and prices(after all it takes at least a gallon to make a pound or so of cheese. Can't have my house made stuff cost much more that store bought).

The cheese I make now is great but I would love to make some goat feta.

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    good luck. I'd check with White Dog Cafe they source locally, also Reading Market has some farmers or at least access.
    What you're looking for costs alot of money to produce....Goat and Sheep milk will need to come from a small producer that has got a milk license/bottling license from your state. I just dealt with this Tues., there is a farmer that was selling raw Jersey milk at the market and he no longer can because of the regulations. Anyway, for you to make in small batches at the same price as a commercial wholesale company is going to be next to impossible for any length of time. It takes more $ to produce small amounts than larger amounts normally.

*There's a French sheep's milk feta that is creamy and lucious on the market through European.

3. shahar

shahar

I don't like french feta. All cream no salt! Give me bulgerian.
    I actually had to import a 30# can to get the style I needed.

I'm not looking for my cheeses to be cheaper than commercial. I just don't want them to cost ten times as much!