gluten free diets

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by durangojo, Oct 2, 2011.

1. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i know the subject of gluten free foods and diners has been hacked to death here, but after yet another special dinner modification last night, which i certainly have no problem with, it got me to thinking about what exactly happens if someone eats gluten? do their throats close up? turn blue? flushed face? what, maybe a little tummy ache? it's certainly not life threatening...so what is the big deal and what did people do 10 years ago when gluten free wasn't a common everyday trend? just curious..i know i could google it, but why, when i got you guys! thanks...

joey

2. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    anyone?

joey

3. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I deal with Celiacs a lot and from what they tell me their symptoms are more like bloating, nausea, headaches, and then comes the diareha  (sp) the next day.

4. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My wife was diagnosed with Celiacs disease back in July. Previous to that her symptoms were mostly indigestion that were getting worse. Other symptoms can be seemingly totally unrelated. There is a link between seizures and CD as well. My wife has Temporal Lobe seizure disorder and going gluten free has possibly mitigated the seizures to some extent. It's hard to pinpoint for sure but it may be a factor. But since going gluten free she can eat somewhat spicier foods again more so than before. No more gas issues, heartburn and a lot of things that make eating pleasurable again.

5. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    my celiac in the end manifested itself as "brain fog" constant lethargy(even though I slept up to 12 hours a day) vertigo, muscle spasms, anemia, vitamin malapsorption, bloating, weight gain, diarrhea, my immune system pretty much broke down - constant battle with any virus, they lasted for months, couldn't concentrate, anxiety(including awesome panic attacks). pretty much wondered why I was even alive. It took over 15 years for a diagnosis. Even now being gluten free for years my body is still not as healthy as it should be, if I get accidently glutened I pay for it with stomach issues.

celiac disease is different from a wheat allergy which would give you the breathing problems you describe. It's just life threatening in the long run. And it certainly isn't a little tummy ache. Wheat is like a slow poison to my system. Other people have more intense re-actions than I do all depends on your genes.

feel free to ask any questions, glad to help.

kathee

6. jmueller

jmueller

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Celiac disease is a very serious illness, even if some people think it's just a little bloating and tummy ache. In most cases it has an impact on your whole body, not just the digestive system. The symptoms are different for each person affected by the disease but mostly it starts out with bloating. The bloating quickly reaches a level where you experience extreme pain in your lower belly, especially while sitting in a chair. Imagine sitting at your desk at work (for example) or on the train and you feel as if your belly is about to explode. Bloating is followed by diarrhea and if that goes on for some time your whole body can be affected by things like fatigue or malnutrition.

When you find out about the illness and change your diet in many cases it feels like a new life (almost). You feel the energy to do things you didn't want to do before and you aren't afraid of the bloating/diarrhea in public anymore. Changing your diet is very difficult at the beginning but it is definitely worth the troubles. It's just very important that you consequently stick to the rules and avoid gluten. 

Before doctors knew about this illness the symptoms were just attributed to different illnesses and were labeled as "chronic" condition. Thank god nowadays we know about the illness and can diagnose it properly. Even if people with celiac disease might be a bother to organize around sometimes, they are mostly very thankful for any effort made to help them.

7. kathleensanders

kathleensanders

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I have Celiac Disease. When we come in contact with gluten it is not an immediate allergy attack like most food allergies. It is a systemic allergy response where the immune system begins to destroy the intestines and for 20% of Celiacs like me also the lymph system. A single exposure can cause symptoms and damage to happne for several days to several months and damage can happen internally even if no symptoms are present. For every 1 patient dx'd with Celiac they are fidning there is another 80  who have celiac and have not been tested because symptoms can mimic other illnesses and some poeple may only have a minor bout of diarrhea now and then. I had symptoms for 20 years before a doctor finally caught it and began testing. Bloodwork turned out negative because I also had another aotoimmune disease called Selective IgA Deficiency so no matter how much gluten I was exposed to the tests would always be negative because I lack the ability to produce those antibodies so biopsies were needed. Biopsies came back positive in several spots. Celiac can also cause stomach and intestinal cancer and lymphoma if untreated. The only cure for Celiac Disease is to maintain a STRICT gluten free lifestyle, not just diet because gluten can also be found in playdough, sheetrock, shampoo, laundry soap, cosmetics, fabric softener, medications, and lots more. Grains that contain gluten are wheat, rye, barley, kamut, spelt, and triticale. If a chef prepares a truly gluten free meal and the server just served bread to the previous customer and did not wash his/her hands well afterwards then s/he just contaminated the Celiac's plate. You can NEVER remove gluten from a wood surface so ALL cooking utensils cannot contain or touch wood because it takes 900*F to kill the gluten proteins and that kinda makes charcoal. Cast iron and other porous cooking utensils must go in the self clean cycle of an oven (which happens to reach 900-950*F). Bleach and hand sanitizer do NOT affect gluten. Plastics and nonstick surfaces with the tiniest scratches can harbor gluten proteins contaminating future meals. Gluten spores will remain airborns for 24-48 hours contaminating work surfaces. The FDA claims 20mg of gluten daily )about 1/8 tsp flour)  to be safe for most Celiacs but many will react with as little as 1mg daily. Coooking with gluten free ingredients is not enough, you also need a gluten free environment in order to serve a gluten free meal.

For me we know within 4-8 hours I have been glutened. I will have abdominal cramping, diarrhea, asthma, acid reflux, nausea/vomiting, dizziness, hands/feet numbness/tingling, my skin itches and burns, I get a rash on my face accompanied by tiny boils, extreme fatique (sometimes requiring 20 hours of sleep a day for several days), a lot of muscle pain and stiffness, headaches and migraines, coughing, fever, and other symptoms. My symptoms will last 3 days for a teeny tiny minute exposure and up to several weeks for a larger exposure.

8. kathleensanders

kathleensanders

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Below is a complete list of Celiac Disease symptoms. Kids can also have ADHD symptoms and behavioral problems. Some people may only have 2-3 symptoms and some people like me will have over 100 of them.

abdominal bloating
    abdominal pain
    abnormal CBC tests
    abnormal liver tests
    absence of menses
    ... accumulation of abdominal fluid
    acid reflux
    acne like water blisters
    allergic rhinitis
    anemia
    anorexia
    anxiety
    arthritis
    aspirating
    asthma
    asthmatic or bronchial cough
    audible bowel sounds
    autism in offspring
    birth defects of offspring
    black or brown discoloration of the colon
    bleeding/swollen gums
    blepharitis
    blistering skin
    blood clotting problems
    bloodshot eyes
    bone pain
    brain fog
    bruising easily
    bulky greasy stools
    burning sensation in the throat
    chromosome disorders in offspring
    chronic fatigue syndrome
    constipation
    corns & calluses
    cracking in the corners of the mouth
    cracking or dryness of the lips
    decrease of white blood cells
    delayed menses
    delayed puberty
    dementia
    dental enamel defects
    depression
    Dermatitis herpetiformis (skin rash characterized as intensely itchy skin
    eruptions like red bumps and blisters. Burning, stinging and itching
    is very bad. It appears in groups around the body, much like the
    lesions of Herpes
    diabetes
    diarrhea
    discolored teeth
    disorders of the lymph nodes
    dry brittle nails that chip easily
    dry eyes or cornea
    early menopause
    edema (esp ankles and feet)
    elevated IgE levels
    energy loss
    fat in the stool
    fatigue
    fibromyalgia
    fibrosing alveolitis of the lung (body produces antibodies against
    its own lung tissue, creates a dry cough and breathing
    difficulty upon exertion)
    fluid retention
    foul smelling gas
    gallbladder problems
    general feeling of illness
    gray or light tan colored stools
    hair loss
    headaches
    hepatitis
    high blood pressure
    hives
    IgA deficiency
    incoordination and clumsiness, affecting balance and gait, limb
    or eye movements and/or speech
    impotence
    inattentiveness
    infertility
    inflammation of the pancreas
    insatiable appetite
    irritable bowel syndrome
    irritability
    itchy skin
    joint pain
    kidney stones
    lactose intolerance
    large appetite
    liver disease
    liver disorders
    lupus
    lymphoma
    memory problems
    menstrual problems
    migraines
    miscarriages
    mouth ulcers
    muscle cramps
    muscle spasms
    muscle weakness
    nail fungus
    nausea
    night blindness
    numbness in hands or feet or legs
    obesity
    osteoporosis
    painful intercourse
    painful periods
    pancreatic problems
    peripheral neuropathy
    plantar warts
    potassium deficiency
    psoriasis
    purple or red spots under the skin (more so in elderly)
    recurrent miscarriages
    red-purple swellings on the legs and sometimes arms, with fever and joint pain
    restless legs syndrome
    rheumatoid arthritis
    scaly dermatitis
    seborrhea
    seizures
    severe anemia in pregnancy
    short stature
    skin rashes
    sleep disorders
    sore throat
    sperm abnormalities
    spleen disorders
    stomach cancer
    stools that float
    stunted growth in children
    swallowing problems
    tendency towards allergies
    thyroid disease
    tingling in hands or feet
    tremors
    under active spleen
    unexplained exhaustion
    unexplained nose bleeds
    unexplained weight loss or gain
    vaginal dryness
    vaginitis
    vitamin deficiencies
    vomiting
    white flecks on fingernails

9. kathleensanders

kathleensanders

Exp:
    Home Chef
    For those wanting to make sure your food is gluten free here is a list of possible sources of hidden gluten

artificial color

atta

baby powder

baking powder

barley

bath salt

beer

binder

bran

brewers yeast

bulgar

candy

caramel coloring

chewing gum

clarifying agents

clay

cleaning products

coloring

communion wafers

conditioner

cosmetics

cough syrup

curry powder

detergents

dextrins

dinkle

dog food

dry roasted nuts

einkorn

emmer

emulsifiers

envelopes (lickable)

face wash

farina

flavoring

fu

germ

glucose syrup

glue

graham

groats

hair spray

hing

hydrolized

hydrogenated

ice cream

instant coffee

kamut

kecap

ketchup

ketjap

latex gloves (dusted)

lipbalm

lipstick

lotion

lozenges

maida

malt

maltose

marinades

matzo

medications

miso

mouthwash

mustard

natural flavors

natural juices

nondairy creamer

oats

paints

pate

pie filling

playdough

processed meats

pudding

rubber gloves (dusted)

rye

seafood analogs

seasonings

seitan

shampoo

sheetrock

shredded cheese

sirimi

smoke flavoring

soap

soy sauce

spelt

stabilizers

stamps (lickable)

starch

stock cubes

sunscreen

tabbouleh

tabouli

teriyaki sauce

tocopherols

toothpaste

triticale

triticum

vegetable gum

vegetable protein

vegetable starch

vitamins

vulgare

wheat

white pepper

whole meal

10. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Wow Kathleen, lots of eye opening info. Thank you so much.

I had no idea how how little I knew about safety concerns when cooking for people with Celiac Disease.

As a conscientious chef, when approached about gluten free requests, do you have any advice on how I should respond because obviously truly gluten free meals are beyond my capabilities at work.

Are most people with Celiac Disease aware of the improbablility of producing a truly gluten free meal in a commercial establishment?

11. chefdave11

chefdave11 Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cheflayne:

The list she posted is long, but much of it is not even food.

If you pay more attention to the sources of gluten rather than an overwhelming list of products, it'll be easier to handle and manage, IMHO.

I'm pretty sure you could take a walk through your kitchen walk-in and pantry and readily identify 90% of the products that contain gluten, with the other 10% being unsure of until you read the ingredient list.

That'll change if there's a lot of processed foods in your place, as opposed to being heavy on from-scratch cooking.  But even so...

Proteins, Produce, Rice...A pretty good start.

No Pasta, No flour.  No problem.

Not making light of this issue - it is a serious issue and we are in the service industry, and most of us will be as accomodating as possible.  But, it also doesn't have to be overwhelming or even challenging.  We just need to be educated and aware.  The rest is easy.  It's what we do.

12. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Actually it was more the post before the one with the list that caught my attention.