Glazed vs un-glazed clay pots

Joined Mar 18, 2013
Hi to all!
I have 2 clay pots, tagine and Roemertopf. All glazed.
Recently read (can't find the website now) that glazed clay pots are nothing close to un-glazed ones (regarding "... Nutritive value of food, PH balance of your food, providing minerals, environment friendly...").
What is your opinion regarding glazed vs un-glazed clay pots? And/or glazed clay pots vs oven Dutch pots?

Thanks,
Afan

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I think your source was highly exaggerated. Nutrition loss is about two things. Heat and water you discard. Both systems get hot. Both have water to varying degrees. The difference won't be pronounced nutritionally.

Environmentally can be calculated a number of ways.

I tend to prefer steel/iron for its durability, versatility, ease of use and cleaning. Ceramics tend to craze, crack, chip and break more for me. I've moved away from ceramic coated cast iron to stainless steel for similar reasons.

Joined Mar 18, 2013
I think your source was highly exaggerated. Nutrition loss is about two things. Heat and water you discard. Both systems get hot. Both have water to varying degrees. The difference won't be pronounced nutritionally.

Environmentally can be calculated a number of ways.
It does make a sense, what you wrote. Agree.

I tend to prefer steel/iron for its durability, versatility, ease of use and cleaning. Ceramics tend to craze, crack, chip and break more for me. I've moved away from ceramic coated cast iron to stainless steel for similar reasons.
I use most of the time CI, DO, carbon steel... Because everything you said.
But sometimes I feel that I just need to cook all day, relax... The time when cooking itself is more important than what's cooked :D That's the moments I like to take my tagine, or grandma's CI Dutch oven direct over fire.. You know what I mean?

All my clay pots are glazed - except the plant saucer and the flower pot I bought at Menards. I seasoned it and it worked well 3 times - until my wife, by accident, didn't take it and use it as it supposed to be :D

Thanks phatch! :emoji_thumbsup:

20200124_104353.jpg

20200124_112013.jpg

20200124_112047.jpg

20200124_112135.jpg

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I am experimenting with a ceramic non-stick skillet. Have to see how that holds up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom