Gipfeli Variations

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by wedward, Nov 12, 2016.

1. wedward

wedward

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I'm hoping for some baking wisdom here.  I've been testing croissant variations for some time trying to find how to replicate the ones I used to get each morning in Munich when I lived there a while back. I know the butter content has to be lower than typical French versions, but I'm still missing the crispiness and flakiness of the ones I used to get.  Schokocroissant was my favorite, with powder sugar dusting, not drizzled chocolate.  

I've reduced the butter from 280 grams per 500 gm flour to 200, but they are still more soft and chewy.  Any tips on temp changes from 400F or other additions?  Google has not been a friend on this one...

Thanks

2. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    "I know the butter content has to be lower than typical French versions."  How do you know this? I don't know about croissants but Southern style biscuits are flakier with a higher fat content.  Try upping you butter and see what happens. 

3. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Could be any number of things... type of flour...fat content...overworking your dough...fat got too warm and you worked it into the flour...

Would need to see a recipe with instructions (noting any subs you have made to it).

mimi

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I haven't made biscuits in months.

Hmmm.

mimi

5. wedward

wedward

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Mostly due to comparing Austrian recipes with the traditional French.  This is the number one thing mentioned when explaining the differences.  Plus they were always very dry and flaky, not buttery like the French ones. 

6. wedward

wedward

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Thanks - here's one of the basic recipes I use for ingredients:

500 g French Type 55 flour or unbleached all-purpose flour / plain flour (extra for dusting)
    140 g water
    140 g whole milk (warmed)
    55 g sugar
    40 g soft unsalted butter
    11 g instant yeast
    12 g salt
    280 g cold unsalted butter for laminating (Plugra or Kerrygold)
    1 egg + 1 tsp water for the egg wash

I've done both cutting butter strips and folding over pounded blocks to layer in the butter.   Subs I've made have been to reduce the total butter,  omit the water and use more milk, sub different flours in such as a mix of AP and Cake, pastry and cake, etc.  I've also used milk wash instead of egg/water.  So far results are the bread is still more doughy than I'd like.

I did dig up a discussion on "Silverton" Croissants that sounds closer to the goal by swapping out brown sugar for white, upping milk, and no butter in the dough only in the folds.