Giordano's in Chicago

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by giordanos, Jan 14, 2013.

1. giordanos

giordanos

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  2. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You may have a small problem. This is a world wide forum, not just Chicago

3. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah ... But Chicago is all that matters when you're talking about PIZZA

4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Geno's East.  Giordano's is a fake.

5. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've been in this city for 20 years and I still can't stomach deep dish/Chicago style.

All that grease...

I'm a thin-crust girl.

6. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I had a Giordano's 5 blocks from my house when I lived in Chicagoland. The thick deep dish pizza was heavy as you say ChicagoTerry. 

I'll never forget how they put a sausage "plate"  (an actual flat plate of sausage the diameter of the pizza) under the sauce on their deep dish.

7. oldschool1982

oldschool1982

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Grew up in Chicago area and even worked for Giordano's in OBT 30 some odd years ago. Wasn't a bad concept back then but after a recent vacation there in August, we'll probably never eat there again. Pizza tasted and looked as appealing as a frozen pie from the grocery store and more "Red Baron" in every respect.  Service was nonexistant and I was rather embarrassed to take our teen age daughter there for her first visit. She's had Chicago deep dish/ stuffed and liked it but she said it was disgusting.

If in Chicago ever again, it's Lou Malnatti's, Gino's East or Pizzeria Uno and we'll skip the rest.  

8. colleens

colleens

Exp:
    Married To A Chef
    @ Chefross, I believe it's not Giordano's but Gino's East which does that sausage plate. Just ordered a sausage pizza from them last weekend (stuffed) and it was small pieces not a single layer.

I myself was born and raised in Chi-town and now a forty-something year old, still enjoy Giordano's. The top of the list is Chicago Pizza and oven grinder, though.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013