GingerBread Help?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by sabra_1, Dec 13, 2003.

1. sabra_1

sabra_1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Can someone please help me, I am making ginger sleighs for christmas in the cafe, I store the pieces in air tight container, then ice them together, they are great if being eaten right away but have had a customer come back saying her sleighs are going soft and starting to buckle :((( how can I keep that Ginger bread very firm......... any suggestions or does anyone have a recipe that I can use please help
    Thanks Sabra:cry:

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    If you want your gingerbread to be edible, and not rock hard, there will always be that possibility if there is moisture in the air. However, you can take extra precautions by baking the pieces a bit longer to reduce the moisture content, and once biult, storing them in a cabinet with silica gel (or a comparable moisture absorbing agent). Just make sure the chemical doesn't come into contact with the food.

3. sabra_1

sabra_1

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks Momoreg, I have tried cooking for longer and have tried different recipes, but think it might be the humidity here in NZ at the moment.......... thank you anyway glad for your time