Ginger garnishes.

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I'm making a pear-ginger cheesecake, and I want to make candied ginger roses for garnish. I would like to have a colour similar to pickled ginger. Will beet juice/powder achieve this? And if so, should I colour the ginger before, during, or after candying?

Thanks!

Joined Aug 25, 2009
Kim,

You might want to color before you sugar. I understand beet juice but red food color is so much quicker, you can vary the color pinks for depth, immerse the softened ginger in a light pink color and then dip the bottom in a darker pink to have a nice contrast of colors. If you decide to use beet juice (nothing wrong with that ) use the same principle, have a darker shade at the base.
Candy the rose after and let it solidify. There are many techniques for this....je crois.

A thought.....

Joined Dec 21, 2009
How about candying a rose made from the pink pickled ginger that is served with sushi?
Is it the type of vinegar that lends that pink color?

Joined Feb 13, 2008
"Sushi ginger" is called gari in Japanese. It can sometimes naturally be a very pale pink, but if it's commercially made and the pink has any depth to it -- it's not the vinegar, it's food coloring.

BDL

Latest posts

Top Bottom