Ginger garnishes.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kim_wicked, Dec 15, 2009.

1. kim_wicked

kim_wicked

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I'm making a pear-ginger cheesecake, and I want to make candied ginger roses for garnish. I would like to have a colour similar to pickled ginger. Will beet juice/powder achieve this? And if so, should I colour the ginger before, during, or after candying?

Thanks!

2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Kim,

You might want to color before you sugar. I understand beet juice but red food color is so much quicker, you can vary the color pinks for depth, immerse the softened ginger in a light pink color and then dip the bottom in a darker pink to have a nice contrast of colors. If you decide to use beet juice (nothing wrong with that ) use the same principle, have a darker shade at the base.
    Candy the rose after and let it solidify. There are many techniques for this....je crois.

A thought.....

3. kim_wicked

kim_wicked

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Ah, makes sense. Thanks!

4. mr.pastry

mr.pastry

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    How about candying a rose made from the pink pickled ginger that is served with sushi?
    Is it the type of vinegar that lends that pink color?

5. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    "Sushi ginger" is called gari in Japanese. It can sometimes naturally be a very pale pink, but if it's commercially made and the pink has any depth to it -- it's not the vinegar, it's food coloring.

BDL

6. kim_wicked

kim_wicked

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Actually that was my first thought, but I was concerned about the flavour.