GF stuffing for fowl (turkey)

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Okay, so this year I'm hosting Thanksgiving. I know, kind of early for that, but I've got a problem: 2 gluten-free guests. They're diagnosed celiac, the whole thing, so I'm definitely not serving them wheat.

Now I've worked out my turkey, potatoes, squash, vegetables, salad, and dessert. I've got gravy down pat. But I'm stumped on stuffing.

For my mother-in-law (jokes aside, she's a lovely person and I want her to enjoy the occasion), stuffing isn't stuffing if it isn't bread stuffing: bread cubes, celery, onion, sage, maybe bits of scrap turkey, stock, the whole bit, baked a long time (in- or outside of the turkey) until a little crunchy but fluffy and great. Unfortunately, now she's celiac.

With other people, I might try a GF cornbread stuffing, or a rice stuffing. If absolutely necessary, I'll go with cornbread. But she wants bread stuffing if at all possible. If I made real bread stuffing, with full-gluten bread, she'd look at it happily and wish she could eat it. I want her to be able to eat it.

Despite some research, I'm stumped. Seems like GF bread products dissolve with long, wettish cooking.

Help!

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Toasting the bread before making the stuffing will solve that issue. Just make sure the bread is toasted all the way through.
Huh. Shoulda thought of that. Any particular kind of GF bread work better than others? I'd love to serve the same stuffing to everyone.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
I made bread pudding using a store bought gluten-free bread once and they seemed fine; didn't dissolve or anything.

It was made with rice flour and looked just like a normal sandwich bread.

Last edited:
Joined Mar 21, 2008
An option would be a wild rice stuffing. I don't have a recipe handy but a web search should turn one up.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I would definitely do a test run before T-Day. Stuffing isn't that hard, or time consuming to make so I would test it out at least once or twice before. Making sure that your GF bread is well toasted should take care of most of the issues, but I'm just wondering what the flavor and consistency of the final product will be. Personally, I would rather do something completely different such as the wild rice stuffing that Mary suggests or a southern style rice stuffing. Or if you are set on a "bread" stuffing, I would probably pack it with lots of goodies such as sausage, dried fruits, nuts, etc.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
I agree with you all: if you're doing GF stuffing, go with rice, wild rice, or GF cornbread. But as I say, my celiac mother-in-law will be disappointed, and I'd prefer to avoid that.

So: dry run in a week or so. I'll keep you posted.

Joined Feb 17, 2010
An option would be a wild rice stuffing. I don't have a recipe handy but a web search should turn one up.

I do one with wild and brown rice, sage sausage (like jimmy deans) mushroom, onion, slivered almonds, parsley, etc. cook rice in chicken stock.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I do one with wild and brown rice, sage sausage (like jimmy deans) mushroom, onion, slivered almonds, parsley, etc. cook rice in chicken stock.

I got a recipe similar to this, with the addition of chicken livers. I'm happy to share it, let me know.

I agree with you all: if you're doing GF stuffing, go with rice, wild rice, or GF cornbread. But as I say, my celiac mother-in-law will be disappointed, and I'd prefer to avoid that.

That's so nice of you, I on the other hand never miss an opportunity to disappoint my mother in law. :p

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001

So: dry run in a week or so. I'll keep you posted.
That's why I also suggested, if doing a more "traditional" stuffing with GF bread, I would probably add a number of things, such as sausage, nuts, dried fruits to take some of the attention off of the "bread" part of it. I would be interested, though, to hear how your test run goes, if making a straight forward bread stuffing with GF bread. Keep us informed about how it went.

Joined Nov 21, 2001
trader joe's makes a decent dry stuffing mix that you can doctor up. or get a couple of loaves of canyon bakehouse cube it and toast it up.

Top Bottom