Getting up to speed with smoking have never smoked before

Joined Mar 24, 2018
My boss bought a Southern Pride Commercial smoker for our new catering kitchen. New banquet menus are already in the the pipe line. Will the Steve Raichlen books Duo give me what I need to get quickly up to speed ,specifically ,using a commercial smoker like the Southern Pride my boss is bringing in? Also, are burnt ends the entire beef brisket with the fat cap or just the fat cap of the brisket. As I said this is new for me.

Joined Feb 8, 2009
ChefBuba, another Chef on this site knows more than I do about smoking. He should be in here after his 4th cup of coffee. The "point" is used for burnt ends. The flat is used for smoking your Brisket. IMHO, the rubs get to be a bit much. The best BBQ in Austin, TX is Franklin BBQ with long lines waiting for their BBQ to come out everyday. The only thing they use is Salt and pepper. That should tell you something. I think good BBQ comes from Quality meat, the right wood and the right temp. Don'y make the process difficult, make it fun......

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I thought burnt ends were just the stuff that was burnt, point or not.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I agree with chefbillyb on the salt and pepper only when it comes to brisket (okay, maybe a bit of garlic, and some ground chili pepper-no chili powder) but when it comes to many other forms of BBQ then, for me, rubs are essential. Not only do they help make your BBQ stand out but it is integral in helping form the bark that is so important to some types. My suggestion for you is to read like crazy and a good place to start is here, on Chef Talk. There are many threads where we discuss BBQ and a few articles that get a bit deeper into the subject. Just use the search bar. Beyond that there are a million books on the subject, as well as many websites devoted solely to BBQ.

I really like the Steve Raichlen books. I don't always agree with him, but you will find that BBQ enthusiasts are a pretty opinionated lot and tend to disagree a lot, although we also agree on many things. Back to Steve, my favorite book of his is his first, "The Barbeque! Bible." It's a great tour of various styles of BBQ found here in the USA and around the world.

I would also suggest, if possible, that you spend a bit of time with a real pit master. I don't know where you are located, but I'd try to find a great BBQ place that is willing to let you hang for a day or 2 to learn a few of the basics (2 days will not make you a pit master, by far but will teach you enough to be dangerous? :)).

Finally, I would suggest that you, and your boss, go out and sample good BBQ if you never have. I'm not talking Famous Dave's or your local restaurant that also just happens to have ribs on the menu. Seek out great BBQ places, so you have an idea of what makes BBQ great.

Joined Feb 17, 2010
I'm a believer in salt & pepper for beef. Here's tri tip and brisket.
For pork I use a simple rub s& p, brown sugar, granulated onion & garlic, smoked paprika. At home I sometimes add some good dark roast coffee.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    397.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0091.JPG
    IMG_0091.JPG
    454.3 KB · Views: 2
Joined Mar 21, 2008
My beef rub is salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, some half sharp paprika, ground celery seed, ground bay leaf(last 2 in very small amounts, you don't want to taste either directly). No sugar on beef for me.

Joined Mar 9, 2013
If you are doing pork butts ( Boston) look at Chris Lilly's apple juice injection. You can make you own sauces pretty easy. If you are cooking briskets you can run higher temps @ 325 same with chicken, pork and ribs run good at 235-265 fat renders better. I would suggest injecting brisket with a broth blend to help moisture.. the point or deckle will yield the burnt ends..look for prime or CAB if possible..We still do competition BBQ judging after cooking in comps for a few years..seen a lot of Q

Joined Jan 25, 2013
the places where I have eaten it, burnt ends are made with the trimmings left when doing a whole brisket. most places serve a uniform slice, so the ends and edges are left.
i would be a package of chicken leg quarters or a small Boston butt and do a few trial runs. for trial run, a salt and pepper rub should be ok. don't know where you are located. see if there is a place to buy oak or hickory fire wood near by.

Latest posts

Top Bottom