Getting the chicken to brown without overcooking

Joined Mar 28, 2016
I cooked some chicken thighs inspired by the roasted miso chicken post on ny times website. The chicken gets slathered in miso butter then roasted. 

I wasnt able to get a good browning, should i adjust heat for lower and cook longer for browning or roast for shorter time at higher heat. Thanks

Joined May 5, 2010

I cooked some chicken thighs inspired by the roasted miso chicken post on ny times website. The chicken gets slathered in miso butter then roasted. 

I wasnt able to get a good browning, should i adjust heat for lower and cook longer for browning or roast for shorter time at higher heat. Thanks
I found your recipe:

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017699-miso-chicken

If you want a nice brown crust, baking in the oven is not the best way to go about it. 

Try browning your chicken on the stovetop in a saute pan first, then finish them in the oven. You'll have a better product

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Great articles on ChefTalk
[article="29130"]Roast Chicken  [/article][article="29026"]Roast Chicken The Quick Er Way  [/article][article="27337"]How To Roast The Perfect Chicken  [/article]

Joined Jul 13, 2012
My favorite way to cook thighs is to season and place skin side down in a cold, dry fry pan then bring up the heat.  No fooling they will render out till the skin is a cracklin' then turn and finish the bottom.  I've made the posted recipe, but I stick with the tried and true I posted.

Last edited:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
When it comes to roasting/baking thighs I prefer to go with a higher heat, about 425°F.  This gives me a nice crispy skin and a well done, but not dry piece of meat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom