Getting the Center Done!!!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by bigdchef, Mar 13, 2002.

1. bigdchef

bigdchef

Hi, I'm new here but thought maybe someone could help me with my problem. I have difficulty in getting pies and cakes to completely cook in the center. An hours cooking time, as recommended by the recipe, might take an additional 15 - 20 minutes to reach doneness in the center. Meantime, the crust is already nice and brown and doesn't need additional cooking time.
    I've checked my ovens and they seem to be calibrated ok; however, they are electric and I've noticed that the oven temperature might drop as much as 25 degrees before coming back on after the element cuts off as the oven reaches the desired temp. Any and all ideas solicited. Thanks very much.

2. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My guess would be that you just answered your own question. If your oven fluxuates that much it probably requires some additional time. A few other possiblities are that your oven may be off just a few degrees. Over an hour that can add some considerable time. I have found, for fruit pies that use a thickener, it sometimes takes some cooling time for the pie firm up. After the starch has set you can heat and reheat without problems.

3. kimmie

kimmie

Bigdchef, welcome!

You might want to preheat your oven 25 to 50 degrees higher than required and bring it to the desired temp once you have put your pie in the oven.

4. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I use foil to prevent the tops of things from "over browning" while the rest catches up.

5. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I had a similar problem for a while with my oven. I kept testing the temp and realized that the temperature recovery was terribly slow. I called a repair company and they replaced a part. I think it was called the relay switch. Now the oven works fine and things bake in the appropriate amount of time.
    In all likelyhood, it's a mechanical problem with your oven.