German vs Japanese

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by nathan kreider, Dec 14, 2012.

1. German

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Japanese

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nathan kreider

nathan kreider

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What's your personal favourite, and why?

2. squamishsteve

squamishsteve

Exp:
    At home cook
    J-Knife all the way

Harder, takes a nicer edge, more comfortable and they are just prettier

3. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Favorite for what? Traditonal J-knife or western?

When you buy knives you don't have to make a commitment to using only one style. A 10" wide heavy Wustie is a lot more cost effective and works just as well as a lot of Debas. Maybe it's not as attractive but having $$$ left in your wallet on pay day trumps having cool knives. For a Chef's knife I would not want to give up my Gyuto's. There are good German knives and really lousy J-knives and vice-versa.

Dave

4. nathan kreider

nathan kreider

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'm not saying anyone has to make any commitments, I'm just wondering what the general public's favourite knives are, whether you own them or not due to any reasons.

I prefer Japanese knives, doesn't mean I'm going to go out and spend $1000 on a set of them.

5. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I voted J-knife but if there would have been a third option for "Both" in your poll I would have picked that.  I like both and I'd add cleavers in their own category.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

Dave

6. wubu

wubu

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    No love for sabatiers?

7. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    + 1 to this and +1 to your previous post.  Wait.  No.  Plus infinity to both posts.  And, let me add that while I prefer French carbons to German stainless for nearly every purpose, there are many wonderful German stainless knives and "German" is certainly a legitimate choice.  You couldn't make me argue with Norman Weinstein about the validity of his own choices with a knife to my head. 

The "best knife" depends on the person and the purpose.   

Nathan:  Patience, my friend.  Patience.  Let the wisdom come to you with practice, experience and in time.  Don't try to impose your conclusions on a reality which refused to divide itself into distinct categories.  

BDL

8. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Les couteaux Sabatiers au carbone, Je les adore.  Les inoxydable, non.

BDL

9. eiron

eiron

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Where do I classify my Swiss knives? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

10. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    They are neutral and probably shouldn't be brought into this kind of discussion.  Ha ha ha.

eiron likes this.
  11. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Anything that i can sharpen will do the job these days. But it happens that i can sharpen J knives much better than any blade. Name it geometry, steels, bevels, etc., I can get my best super sharp edges from J knives. And i rather go stainless than carbon steel. Today. Tomorrow we'll see.

12. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    If they're Forschner/Victorinox they fit in the same box as German knives.  Same alloys, same profiles, alla time same same.

BDL

13. wubu

wubu

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Just curious, is there anything wrong with stainless Sabs?

14. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It's been awhile since I used or sharpened one, but the problem was/is the alloy.  Compared to knives made from X50CrMoV15 the Sabs have crummy edge properties and ding out of true too easily.  However, compared to "classic" German knives, they're slightly lighter and have better profiles. 

Compared to carbon Sabatiers and modern Japanese knives -- both of which have comparatively amazing edge properties, I don't think the stainless Sabs or classic Germans are worth recommending unless the person asking has some special interest. 

As is so often the case:  It's all about the sharpening.

BDL

15. wubu

wubu

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Good to know, I have seen stainless elephant Sabs in Le Creuset stores recently and had the question at the back of my mind. Thanks.

16. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Wubu,

The most basic questions are what you expect to do with a knife, what you want it to do and not do, how much you're willing to spend, and what you do to keep it sharp. 

What I said about stainless Sabs doesn't mean there isn't a valid place for them in that greater scheme of knife ownership, but that there are other choices which provide better value for people who want a stainless European knife they won't keep terribly sharp; or people who want a stainless, French profile knife they will keep sharp. 

You have to remember that when someone gives you his analysis, he's talking as much about himself as the subject of the analysis.  As to me, I try to keep my prejudices in the open, but I'm just some guy on the internet.

BDL

17. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    ... and for that I thank you.  That is a good posture to assume.

18. wubu

wubu

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I get it. I was just taking the opportunity to make note of the opinion of a guy on the Internet who loves his carbon Sabs and has tried stainless Sabs at one point in time.

19. eiron

eiron

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Why do you say that? And how much of a bolster reduction are you talking about?

20. drewkal

drewkal

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Why can't us Americans make decent knives?  I'm sick of my brother telling me his Cutco's  are great!