german rye flour types

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by wuzzo87, Feb 22, 2006.

1. wuzzo87

wuzzo87

hi,

How do u intepret the number types on German rye flours? I don't know how to see if it's light rye flour, medium or dark...

thx.

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Wuzzo87
    The flour is from Germany?
    Light Rye will be alot finer then the dark. It will also be light in color. The dark is more granulated, it contains the bran and germ from the rye grass. Don't hold that to me though. Things like this are stored wayyyy back there. Medium is usually reserved for grocery stores. So the commercial guys offer light and dark.
    What numbers are on the bad.? What's the name of the mill? I know you probably not to use this straight. It's not high on the gluten side.
    That's all I know right now without researching.
    pan

3. lamington

lamington

Start here: wikipedia. I know the rye numbers are somewhere on the web cos I was researching them about a year ago. Unfortunately I can't find the best link right now.

4. wuzzo87

wuzzo87

The rye flour i have is not very finely ground, and not too coarse too. Does have the bran and germ though. Think it's medium.
    I wanted to understand the number type labelling on the flour to translate some german bread recipes online. :lips:

i wanted to know if i could make a 100% sourdough rye bread from this medium ground rye flour and rye grains? or a 80% rye 20% wheat german country bread with it, with the absence of white rye flour?