German Potato Salad - Boil and Peel or...

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Is there a reason why German Potato Salad always starts with boiling potatoes and then peeling them instead of peeling and then boiling?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I've read... to reduce water absorption. But I'm not sure I'm convinced of that because I've done it both ways and didn't notice.

I've noticed... less waste because the skins slip off without any pulp. But if using "new" potatoes I just leave the skins most often.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I think they absorb less water. Cook's Illustrated claims that keeps more potato flavor in and I don't know that I can tell that either.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I can definitely tell the difference, and I would not boil a whole potato without its skin. Without its skin, the potato absorbs water and gets a watery taste in my experience. Also the cooking is less uniform, with the exterior of the potato becoming overcooked before the inside is fully cooked. You end up with a potato that's overly flaky on the outside and firm on the inside.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Many people believe that a potato tastes better boiled inside its skin. I tend to agree but I hate peeling hot potatoes so will often peel and chop before cooking if I’m in a hurry.

The best way IMO to boil a potato is to steam it unpeeled.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I always peel and slice my potatoes before cooking, when making German potato salad and feel that it tastes great as it is. While I agree that your yield might be a little better cooking your potatoes whole, I don't think you would taste a difference between the 2 procedures, especially with German potato salad where the potatoes are competing with stronger flavors.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
I always peel and slice my potatoes before cooking, when making German potato salad and feel that it tastes great as it is. While I agree that your yield might be a little better cooking your potatoes whole, I don't think you would taste a difference between the 2 procedures, especially with German potato salad where the potatoes are competing with stronger flavors.

Meh, I dunno. If you tasted them side by side I bet you could tell a difference...one would taste more "potato-y" than the other. That's not to say that you can't make a delicious potato salad either way, but boiling/steaming in the jackets definitely has an impact on the taste/texture of the final product.

Top Bottom