George's Greek Cafe: a dose of Gluttony

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I don't know what's so greek about this place. I've never seen the menu. What George's is known for is breakfast. Great big huge walloping breakfasts.

The dish that makes George's a cult classic is the Roundhouse. It starts on with a pile of fresh hash browns, at least a large potato’s worth. Then some meat draping a side of the pile. Ssome ham, bacon, sausage, yes some of each. Some cheese on the other side, some gravy, and two eggs cooked to your preference, the eggs on top of the whole stack.

For bigger appetites, a Round and Half increases the scale of it all and uses three eggs. The Double Roundhouse is more again and four eggs.

We’d go there together for work sometimes. I attempted a Round and Half once and failed. I’ve seen Doubles eaten at other tables, but only twice at my table by associates. Each only did it once though. The rest of the day is pretty much shot trying to digest it all. Lunch is not a possibility.

The concept is simplicity, achieved noteworthyness through scale, but does each ingredient well.

And it doesn't even matter what else is on the menu. (Expedia recommends the feta tomato omelet for daintier appetites).

Phil

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
It's in Salt Lake City. It's sort of the Coffee Shop for the American Medical Towers. Close to the University of Utah, it does big business with the students on the weekends. I've always gone on weekdays.

It's probably appropriate that there's a hospital across the street.

Phil

Joined Dec 12, 2000
phatch It's probably appropriate that there's a hospital across the street. Phil[/QUOTE said:
That reminds me of a funny incident during the last year of my apprenticeship. I was doing something on business planning, and I had picke this location which I thought would be a good place for a small coffee shop type operation, I figured it would bring it alot of foot traffic because directly across the street is the police station, and the street directly behind is a business area, and right next door to the building I was looking at is a medical centre. Now I was thinking about all the people in the offices that would hit there for lunch, anyway I was trying to explain my reasoning for picking this location to my prof, and she said, 'Is your food going to be that bad that you need to be so close to a medical centre ?'

Latest posts

Top Bottom