Genoise trimmings

Joined Dec 1, 2015
So I know it's the party line to trim the crust before finishing these cakes, but sometimes I don't because either I don't want to throw the trimmings out or I don't want to eat them.  I haven't heard of anything creative to do with them, except maybe make 2 rum balls.

Any ideas?

Joined Dec 1, 2015
Actually, I just thought of crisping them in butter and putting on ice cream.  Or even the top of the finished cake.

Joined Jun 27, 2012

From the trimmings of one cake?
You asked....

Pretty sure Chef assumed you would be willing to vac and pac the trims and freeze until there was enuf to make something other than 2 rum balls.

mimi

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
Two rum balls sounds like a good idea to me. Those, a couple of cups of espresso, and someone you love...

Joined Jun 27, 2012

You asked....

Pretty sure Chef assumed you would be willing to vac and pac the trims and freeze until there was enuf to make something other than 2 rum balls.

mimi
Is that what you do?
Back in the day when I had a lot of trims and the guilt of throwing away all that cake (eggs, butter, milk and expensive flavorings like booze) got to me ....yes I would repurpose the scraps (usually for a dessert for the family) but I never had to freeze as there was usually more than enuf to play with.

But now?

I prolly bake less than you do ... and as rum is not my fave libation I would prolly make bourbon balls lol.

mimi

Last edited:
Joined Sep 18, 2010
If  there any trimmings  from one cake at my house I put them on a plate one the kitchen counter and like a miracle  they disappear without any trace within minutes.

It seems that there are never too many trimmings for me to worry about being wasted.

Joined Dec 1, 2015

If  there any trimmings  from one cake at my house I put them on a plate one the kitchen counter and like a miracle  they disappear without any trace within minutes.

It seems that there are never too many trimmings for me to worry about being wasted.
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Yup. I just trimmed the bones off a pan of brownies. Wife and kids sucked them up before I could turn around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom