general tso's chicken

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by legal tender, Jul 29, 2002.

1. legal tender

legal tender

hello...
    i am in need of some help.......i have tried various recipes for the generals tso's chicken.....but i can not get the flavor in my sauce like the restruants around my town have...i do how ever get the same color and texture...but its missing the spice and tang.........
    have any other people had the same probs????
    i need too learn this badly..so i will quit spending my paychex on this dish from the local carry out:mad:
    thanks,
    Bryan :D

2. pollyg

pollyg

Try this version. Apparently lots of places deepfry the chicken first, but this sounds like a good version.

Marinade
    3 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
    ___or dry sherry
    1-1/2 tablespoons oyster-flavored sauce
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs,
    ___cut into 1-inch pieces

Sauce
    1/4 cup chicken broth
    1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon regular soy sauce
    1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 teaspoons sesame oil
    2 tablespoons cooking oil
    6 small dried red chilies
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    2 teaspoons minced ginger
    2 green onions, cut into 1 inch lengths
    1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red chilies
    1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
    ___dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
    1/4 cup roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped

_

Getting Ready
    Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl. Place chicken in marinade and turn to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl.
    _

Cooking
    Place a wok over high heat until hot. Add oil, swirling to coat sides. Add chilies and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, green onions, and crushed chilies; stir-fry for 1 minute.

Add sauce and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens.

Place chicken on a serving plate and sprinkle with peanuts.
    _

3. isa

isa

This sound very simmilar to our General Tao Chicken.

4. kimmie

kimmie

Here's my favorite General Tao's Chicken recipe. I hope it becomes your favorite too!

10 oz Chicken Legs, deboned
    2 cups Soya Oil
    1 tbsp Ginger Root, minced
    2 Scallions, chopped
    1 tbsp Garlic, minced
    2 tbsp Dry Chili Pepper
    2 tbsp Soy Sauce
    1 1/2 tsp Vinegar
    2 tbsp Cornstarch
    1/4 cup Chicken Stock
    1 tsp Sesame Oil
    1 tbsp Soy Sauce

Preparation: MARINADE
    1 Egg White
    1 tbsp Cornstarch

For best results, use skinned deboned legs of capon. Cut the chicken into pieces no larger than 1 inch square. Prepare marinade by combining egg white, cornstarch and 1 tablespoon soy sauce in a large bowl. Add chicken pieces and set aside for two hours. In a deep pot, heat the oil until it reaches 350 degrees. In a basket, or with a slotted spoon, lower several marinated chicken pieces into the fat. Fry about one or two minutes or until the chicken becomes crisp; test for doneness before completing the batch. Continue until all pieces have been fried. Set oil and cooked chicken pieces aside. In a wok, on high heat, reheat two tablespoons of the reserved oil. Add prepared ginger, scallions, garlic and chili peppers. Stir to prevent burning. Add the fried chicken and stir quickly.Add sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and cornstarch mixed with chicken stock. Remove from the heat and stir sesame oil into the sauce. Spoon the mixture on to a hot platter and serve immediately with steamed rice. Serves 4.

5. legal tender

legal tender

thanks to all of you!!!!:D
    i am seeing some recipes with white meat and some with dark meat......guess its a tatse issue.
    thanks!!
    Bryan in Va.:bounce: