Gelato too sweet

Joined Dec 15, 2012
I haven't made ice cream in many years. Today I wanted to make Gelato and found a recipe that looked good. For flavor I wanted coffee. I made up the baseic recipe adding a little coffee syrip and a heaping desert spoon of instant espresso. I know that the sugar is necessary to lower the freezing point so that ice crystals don't form so I didn't mess with the sugar content and quite frankly I was quite conservative with the amount of coffee syrip I put in, probably no more than would be in a "coffee milk" (for those not growing up near RI or south eastern MA, coffee milk is as common here as chocolate milk, just a syrip made from coffee instead of chocolate). The instant espresso has no sweetener. I made up the custard base but was already concerned that it was sweeter than I expected. Thought maybe when it was put into the icream maker it might ease up with the added air. it's still turning but it's sweetness is not reducing. Any suggestions? Could I add some cold cream while its turning? One thought I had was to either make a small unsweatened custard and then add it to the origional and return it, or even reheat the whole thing with another egg yoke, cream and no sugar. Any comments on those thoughts or any other thoughts?

Thank you in advance,

Bruce

Joined Jun 28, 2017
If you want to adjust the recipe, then start over and use less coffee syrup and more instant espresso. Sometimes it takes a few attempts before you nail down a recipe you really like.

If you want to adjust this current batch quickly so you can still enjoy it asap, I would probably try upping the coffee flavor - the bitterness might balance out with the sugar making a more palatable treat. Two ways I might do this: 1) mix some instant espresso in with a small amount of your base warm enough to kinda hydrate it then mix that in with the rest of the base to taste 2) throw some finely ground coffee directly in to your base near the end of spinning to add some flavor - I like this textural element, but some people might find it off-putting so use your judgement.

My favorite coffee ice cream is David Lebovitz's Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream recipe from his book the Perfect Scoop - literally 5 minutes of prep and amazing flavor/texture. I got the ground coffee thing from him.

Joined Dec 15, 2012
What great suggestions. I think the best "rescue" idea is adding the ground coffee. I use fresh, fine ground coffee in steak rubs and think it does wonders and I don't mind the texture and as long as nobody is told (so they don't form a preconceived notioin). I think that is the safest and probably the fastest solution. I will try this again

Joined Jun 27, 2012
This is just IMO (yeah imma micromanager lol) but I would rather know in advance that the one thing I was expecting to be smooth was going to have a bit of texture and being surprised, spit it out in my napkin.
"Hey I am trying this new recipe and I added some (whatever) for a bit of texture. What do y'all think?"
:)

mimi

Joined Jun 28, 2017
When I make coffee ice cream at home, I usually end up eating it all myself (sometimes directly from bowl in which it was spun), so not sure there'd be anyone to warn about the coffee grinds...;)

But in all seriousness, yes, I would definitely tell people. "I've added some freshly ground [insert name of fancy local coffee roaster here] coffee to give it a pop of flavor, please enjoy..."

Top Bottom