Gas or Electric for professional bakery?

Joined Apr 22, 2019
So I'm starting up a pie bakery. Looking into equipment now and could use some advice. Pretty positive I want to go electric sounds like it is more even heat less hot spots. Is convection the route I should go or true convection? Or am I totally off base on my conclusions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Joined Oct 10, 2005
If you want pies with crispy golden bottoms and nicely golden tops, you will need a deck oven. Convections have no hearth or deck to achieve this, they just blow a lot of hot air around with the pie suspended in mid-air.

Most municipalities require expensive ventilation systems for gas ovens, and most municipalities don’t require this for electric ovens. Check this out with your municipality.

Joined Apr 22, 2019
Thank you for your reply. I guess my concern is if we're doing upwards of 200 pies a day do they come large enough to handle that many in a day?

Joined Oct 10, 2005
You can get deck ovens to accommodate 2,3,4,6 sheet pans, but most bakeries start off with one 3 or 4 pan deck and as the business grows you just get another 3 or 4 pan deck to put on top of the first.

Do NOT look for deck ovens at a restaurant supply store, they’ll try to sell you a pizza oven or a crappy convection, you need to find a bakery equipment supplier in your area

Joined Apr 22, 2019
You can get deck ovens to accommodate 2,3,4,6 sheet pans, but most bakeries start off with one 3 or 4 pan deck and as the business grows you just get another 3 or 4 pan deck to put on top of the first.

Do NOT look for deck ovens at a restaurant supply store, they’ll try to sell you a pizza oven or a crappy convection, you need to find a bakery equipment supplier in your area
Thank you this was very helpful

Top Bottom