Featured Gas or Electric for professional bakery?

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by JoJoJane, Jul 24, 2019.

1. JoJoJane

JoJoJane

Exp:
    Some Culinary School. Worked in Bakeries for 5 years. Own Catering Business
    So I'm starting up a pie bakery. Looking into equipment now and could use some advice. Pretty positive I want to go electric sounds like it is more even heat less hot spots. Is convection the route I should go or true convection? Or am I totally off base on my conclusions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    If you want pies with crispy golden bottoms and nicely golden tops, you will need a deck oven. Convections have no hearth or deck to achieve this, they just blow a lot of hot air around with the pie suspended in mid-air.

Most municipalities require expensive ventilation systems for gas ovens, and most municipalities don’t require this for electric ovens. Check this out with your municipality.

3. JoJoJane

JoJoJane

Exp:
    Thank you for your reply. I guess my concern is if we're doing upwards of 200 pies a day do they come large enough to handle that many in a day?

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    You can get deck ovens to accommodate 2,3,4,6 sheet pans, but most bakeries start off with one 3 or 4 pan deck and as the business grows you just get another 3 or 4 pan deck to put on top of the first.

Do NOT look for deck ovens at a restaurant supply store, they’ll try to sell you a pizza oven or a crappy convection, you need to find a bakery equipment supplier in your area

5. JoJoJane

JoJoJane

Exp:
    Thank you this was very helpful