Garnishes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by quinntech01, Sep 14, 2005.

1. quinntech01

quinntech01

What are some of the garnishes that you place on your dishes. I need some ideas for a pasta dish. Any thoughts? Something no to time consuming, but festive.

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    What's already in the pasta dish? A few whole or roughly chopped herb leaves, echoing what's already there, are always nice.

Whatever you use, make sure it's edible (no Japanese fake grass :eek: ).

3. quinntech01

quinntech01

hahahaha i wouldnt be surprised if a dish came back and the waiter said someone sent it back because the grass what like plastic. hahaha

Its a Grilled Veggie Lasagna. (w/ a Red Pepper Coolie Celantro Garlic Lemon Sauce) Still havent come up with an idea for the name of the sauce.

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    That's coulis, not coolie, and cilantro, not celantro. :p You could start with the correct terms. :lol:

Okay, which flavor do you want to emphasize? You've got a lot of flavors going on there, but also a lot of possible nice visual touches: strips of roasted red pepper, sprigs of cilantro -- put them together and it's Xmas! :lol:

5. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's fake?!? :eek: :mad: :roll:

6. markv

markv

Who cares as long as it's grass! :smokin

Actually I had to abandon that many years ago. :( (sigh)

But seriously folks........

How about a mini tomato/mozarella/basil leaf hors d'oeuvre? Yes I know it's hackneyed and overdone but it's easy and would go well with the dish.

Take a half an Italian tomato, (very ripe please), sprinkle it with sea salt, pepper, and a little extra virgin olive oil & Balsamic, then top it with a thin layer of fresh mozzarella, ( another subtle sprinkle of salt and pepper), then a fresh basil leaf, topped with another drizzle of Balsamic and some extra virgin olive oil.

OR.................homemade, marinated artichoke hearts.

Mark

7. deeriam

deeriam

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Try Frying cilantro Leaves and Basil Leaves keeping them whole...

8. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    A plum or large cherry tomato rose with basil leaves

9. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Grilled Lasagna?? with red pepper couli , cilantro, and lemon sauce??? Must be locala native Jersey type dish, because flavors and  colors and consitancies are  way off. However if you like it you can eat it. To each his own.

10. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Revival of a thread again?  Ed, it's grilled vegetable lasagna, meaning the vegetables are grilled, not the whole lasagna!  I think the sauce sounds very interesting, a little lemon always perks up a dish... although I'm not a cilantro fan.