garlic

Joined Dec 12, 2000
OK, so someone has probably already asked this along the way, but anyway I was just wondering how much minced garlic is equal to one whole clove ?
Thanks,
Jeff

Joined Dec 12, 2000
Thanks CH, but I did mean if per chance I chopped up like 50 or 500 cloves of garlic at the same time and put them in a jar. And thank you Kimmie.

Joined Oct 19, 2002
Why would you mince 50-500 cloves of garlic and put them in a jar? Is this some sort of experiment advancing culinary knowledge? :D

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
To practice his knife cuts? :D Yes, tourne them all, 7 sides, each of them 0.3mm long!

Kuan

Joined May 26, 2001
Would you believe it, I just was served tourné potatoes at Les Halles Downtown in NYC! Well, that is, they were supposed to be tourné, but, well, you know how it is. ;)

Joined Nov 20, 2000
Aieee! Don't remind me! Tourne everything in site and don't forget to brunoise the mushroom caps, not mince fine...brunoise!
And when you're done with that, take these tweezers and remove the pinbones of these 3 dozen Salmon Trout before you go home!
That was 15 frickin years ago and my back still hurts!:eek:

Joined Dec 12, 2000
So, that I don't have to chop garlic every time I cook. it's a convenience thing.

Joined Nov 21, 2001
dear coolj,
i know i've been out of the kitchen for a couple of years, but... couldn't you just buy chopped garlic from your purveyor? save yourself all the labor? the only bad thing i remember about chopped garlic from a few years ago was when it was held in oil too long that botulism could develop. failing that do you have a buffalo chopper or food processer? you could peel a bunch of cloves and send them for a whirl.
kat

Joined Aug 18, 2004
I was looking for this info so I could use my jarred minced garlic for a recipe I'm testing, I didn't trust the 1 tsp. (no offence Kimmie), so I went ahead and chopped 16 fresh cloves, minced and measured. It came out to 4 oz
4 oz = 8 tbl spoons = 24 tsp / 16 cloves = 1.5 tsp per clove
I was using pre-pealed whole garlic and they didn’t have any small cloves in the 5 lb bag. If you were using bulbs, and therefore having some smaller ones in there too, it might come out to the 1 tsp that Kimmie posted. But for multiplying a recipe that calls for just one clove, I would assume a healthy outer clove. Besides anyone who doesn’t like the added garlic is probably a terrorist or something of that nature…

Joined Aug 18, 2004
anyone who would stand for just a single clove of garlic in a dish will be very disapointed in my kitchen ;)

Top Bottom