garlic

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by coolj, Oct 21, 2002.

1. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK, so someone has probably already asked this along the way, but anyway I was just wondering how much minced garlic is equal to one whole clove ?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. kimmie

kimmie

3. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Jeff,
    1 minced clove of garlic = 1 whole clove of garlic unminced :p :rolleyes:

4. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks CH, but I did mean if per chance I chopped up like 50 or 500 cloves of garlic at the same time and put them in a jar. And thank you Kimmie.

5. kimmie

kimmie

Happy chopping! :D

6. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Jeff, it was the least I could do!

:eek:

7. nick

nick

Why would you mince 50-500 cloves of garlic and put them in a jar? Is this some sort of experiment advancing culinary knowledge? :D

8. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    To practice his knife cuts? :D Yes, tourne them all, 7 sides, each of them 0.3mm long!

Kuan

9. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Would you believe it, I just was served tourné potatoes at Les Halles Downtown in NYC! Well, that is, they were supposed to be tourné, but, well, you know how it is. ;)

10. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Aieee! Don't remind me! Tourne everything in site and don't forget to brunoise the mushroom caps, not mince fine...brunoise!
    And when you're done with that, take these tweezers and remove the pinbones of these 3 dozen Salmon Trout before you go home!
    That was 15 frickin years ago and my back still hurts!:eek:

11. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    So, that I don't have to chop garlic every time I cook. it's a convenience thing.

12. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    dear coolj,
    i know i've been out of the kitchen for a couple of years, but... couldn't you just buy chopped garlic from your purveyor? save yourself all the labor? the only bad thing i remember about chopped garlic from a few years ago was when it was held in oil too long that botulism could develop. failing that do you have a buffalo chopper or food processer? you could peel a bunch of cloves and send them for a whirl.
    kat

13. rndmactsofcokng

rndmactsofcokng

I was looking for this info so I could use my jarred minced garlic for a recipe I'm testing, I didn't trust the 1 tsp. (no offence Kimmie), so I went ahead and chopped 16 fresh cloves, minced and measured. It came out to 4 oz
    4 oz = 8 tbl spoons = 24 tsp / 16 cloves = 1.5 tsp per clove
    I was using pre-pealed whole garlic and they didn’t have any small cloves in the 5 lb bag. If you were using bulbs, and therefore having some smaller ones in there too, it might come out to the 1 tsp that Kimmie posted. But for multiplying a recipe that calls for just one clove, I would assume a healthy outer clove. Besides anyone who doesn’t like the added garlic is probably a terrorist or something of that nature…

14. chef wil

chef wil

anyone who would stand for just a single clove of garlic in a dish will be very disapointed in my kitchen ;)

15. travelchick

travelchick

LOL, yes I would agree!