Garlic Smell On Finger Tips!

Joined Feb 10, 2018
Me and my sister were using garlic yesterday & can’t remove the smell of garlic off of our finger tips. We washed our hands after using & got showered it still didn’t fade. The next morning we have used vinegar, mouth wash, stainless steel, nothing is working!? Is the smell going to last forever I’m really panicked.
Please help!

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Part of the joy of cooking with garlic. o_O

Don't worry the smell will go away in time. A good method for cleaning your hands from garlic is to rinse your hands with hot water (as hot as you can stand it). Be generous in how long you take to rinse your hands this is opening up the pores. After you have done this then soap up your hands and wash thoroughly. After you rinse again. I also would apply a little lemon juice to my hands and it helped to kill the smell.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Stainless steel. Wash your hands and your knifef at the same time running your hands along the stainless steel of the blade with the soap on them. That seems to cancel the smellof onions and garlic for me. Careful of the edge of course.

They actually sell a stainless steel bar shaped like soap for this purpose. But cleaning your knife and your hands at the same time accomplishes the same thing.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Just learn to like the smell of garlic :)
And if you eat somethng not so nice, you can smell your fingers and pretend it tastes of garlic....

Enough nonsense. I eat a lot of garlic and I do not find it a problem. It does happen though. It will go.
Working in the garden, weeding etc, will also help to reduce the smell, as does washing with hot water.
Never heard of patch's stainless steel story. I do clean my knives by hand under hot water, so maybe that's why I don't find it an issue.

Something else:
If you think garlic is bad, try working with turmeric :cool:

Joined Mar 12, 2017
Hi, quick tip for garlic fingers. - Try not to use hot water to wash your hands afeter using garlic. It's easier to remove with soapy cold water as it does not "cook The residue" to your hands.
Chris,

Joined Oct 7, 2013
Me and my sister were using garlic yesterday & can’t remove the smell of garlic off of our finger tips. We washed our hands after using & got showered it still didn’t fade. The next morning we have used vinegar, mouth wash, stainless steel, nothing is working!? Is the smell going to last forever I’m really panicked.
Please help!
Grab a teaspoon of coarse salt or koshering salt, sprinkle on wet fingertips, scrub fingers together. Rinse with cold water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom