Garlic Shrimp / Prawns

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by zane, Jun 15, 2010.

1. zane

zane

Exp:
    Other
    Just made this tonight, was the first time I really cooked for my parents and they loved it.

Ingredients:

2 pounds of prawns / medium sized shrimp

2 green chili's, finely chopped

4 cloves of garlic, sliced

1tsp olive oil

Spread the oil in a pan and set the heat to medium. Add the garlic and chili's and wait about a minute. Add the shrimp, making sure it cooks evenly on both sides (approx 3 minutes a side  if using frozen shrimp). Be sure to stir the shrimp around, the chili's and garlic will end up making a sauce with the olive oil. Serve and eat.

2. zane

zane

Exp:
    Other
    Also want to add that I prefer the use of red chili's, but if your market isn't carrying them for what ever reasons you can use green.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Have to say I'd have gone with butter over olive oil in this application. More support of the shrimp flavor and just awesome with garlic too.

beecher likes this.
  4. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I dunno, Phil. Garlic Shrimp (sometimes called Sizzling Shrimp and even Sizzling Chile Shrimp) is a classic tapas, and is always made with olive oil. At least it is with any recipe I've ever seen for it.

Not that butter would hurt anything. And, of course, what we call Scampi is usually made with butter & garlic.

5. zane

zane

Exp:
    Other
    The olive oil is the base for the sauce thats made with the garlic and chili. Not sure how butter would have worked.

6. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A lot of southern recipes for barbecued shrimp, like the shrimp from Brennans in NOLA, use tons of butter.  I think Paul Prudhomme's recipes do too, but our cookbooks are packed up.

BDL

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  7. rheadewey

rheadewey

Exp:
    At home cook
    I agree. Shrimp tastes better when butter is used instead of oil.

8. foodiecutie

foodiecutie

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This sounds like the Gambas al Pil Pil I enjoyed when I was in Costa del Sol in the south of Spain, although dried red chilies are used in place of the green.  "Gambas" means shrimp and "Pil Pil" refers to the sauce created by the emulsification of the shrimp juices and olive oil.  It can also be made using salt cod (Bacalao al Pil Pil).

Although I love shrimp scampi and shrimp in garlic butter as much as the next guy, the olive oil is essential to the flavor of this dish and I wouldn't replace it with anything.  Enjoy the simplicity of this dish - it's wonderful!!! (especially with crusty bread on the side to soak up all the juices!) Mmmm.....

9. foodiecutie

foodiecutie

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Zane, I just noticed that your recipe only contains 1 tsp of olive oil.  I just wanted to mention that in Gambas al Pil Pil the shrimp is usually swimming in oil.  It's rich, but it's fantastic. :)

10. rheadewey

rheadewey

Exp:
    At home cook
    I agree! Richer is better! :)

11. zane

zane

Exp:
    Other
    Well Gordon Ramsay (who I now admit I stole straight from his cook book however I modified the chilis..he called for red which were impossible to find where I live) only called for 1tsp.

12. seaside

seaside

Exp:
    At home cook
    Butter, garlic, prawns -   a match made in heaven,   however on holiday once in Spain the flavour I shall never forget,  is  the taste  of the huge shell on prawns which were quickly and simply cooked on high heat in the olive oil of the region, it will be with me always - sheer bliss!!  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rollsmile.gif

13. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    I thought it sounded like not enough oil for this amount of prawns - personally I'd go half and half, but make that 1 tsp into 1 Tbsp oil, 1 Tbsp butter

. If you can't get red chillis, how about dried chilli flakes and also some fresh green chillis, bit of a combination?

Did you serve it on some pasta?  Could also serve it on some bruschetta I guess.

14. zane

zane

Exp:
    Other
    I just served it alone as a meal, 2 pounds split between 2 people...we love to eat =)

15. garnette

garnette

Exp:
    At home cook
    It sounds yummy, i will definately try it myself !!!!!!!!!

Many thanks !!!!!!!!!

16. russellnewnham

russellnewnham

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I used to cook a creamy garlic prawns which was:

Prawns tossed in garlic butter deglazed with dry white wine then add cream to it and reduce can add a Tbspn of bechamel sauce (white roux sauce) to speed up thickening not vital though. reduce without splitting sauce and serve on rice, it was always a popular entree.

Can also add extra seafood at beginning and serve it on top of a steak yummy.

I think these sort of things depend on your own taste and in some cases experiences I say mix it up you may create some disasters but you could also find some gems 

17. andrel

andrel

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Reading your comments make me crazy as I love shrimps so much and defiantly will try your  recipe.

18. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    For me, It still depends on what you'll have to put. I do have two kinds of cooking the shrimps.

1. If used in oil. I will add garlic, green chili, red onions, black pepper and oyster sauce.

2. If used in butter. I'll put garlic, black pepper and salt.

Have you tried coating it in flour and egg? It is also good!!  :)

19. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
       Butter?  A good fresh olive oil?

I think both are winners!  But really moving in two different directions.  The way I envision this dish is only with shell on shrimp...shell and head on would be better /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif   oh the goodness.

Someone else mentioned bruschetta...yeah, serve it all right atop the toasted garlic rubbed bread.

thanks for posting Zane!

dan

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  20. gonefishin

gonefishin

Exp:
    At home cook
       Thanks for the link...I'll have to check it out further in my free time!

dan