Garden Tour food ideas

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by ddillon, Mar 26, 2010.

1. ddillon

ddillon

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Next month, our local Hospice is having their annual Spring Garden Tour.  I'm offering to finish up the tour by opening my garden to our church members.  I want to serve simple refreshments on the patio and let people mingle around the garden, drink lemonade, talk about plants and flowers and enjoy a few simple dishes.

So far, I've thought of a fruit topiary.  I made one last year using grapes, cantaloupe and strawberries.  I also thought of (a variation from another recipe) taking a lemon, cutting the bottom so it will sit flat on a tray, hollowing out the middle and filling with sherbet then topping it off with a mint sprig.  My only problem is that I need to make everything the night before as the garden tour begins immediately after church, so I won't have much time to put everything together.  And I don't know how lemons would do if they're sitting in the fridge all hollowed out and waiting to be filled with sherbet.(?)

Any ideas???

2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    DDillon,

Hi there,

I never had a problem getting my lemons ready a day ahead in the fridge (covered)  
    Another idea would be to keep the tops of your lemons and once the lemons are filled a little higher than the lemon,  place the tops back on....

Just a thought.

3. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    What's in season at the moment, and what do you have ready to harvest in your church garden at the moment?  Including flowers - e.g. roses, lavender, nastursiums etc.  or grape leaves...... what do you have available there?