Game

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by elina martini, Feb 2, 2014.

1. elina martini

elina martini

Exp:
    Home Cook
    So I'm kinda new at this 'Game' word. I'm not so sure I get the point about it, I mean I know they are animals hunted for food or sport but is there anything more to know about it? Are they like the food we use frequently? like rabbit or duck? Because, Whichever site I go to check it out I'm not getting the exact idea of it & it sorta confuses me. 

2. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That's a bit unspecific. I mean, you can also consider rabbit and duck as game, since they are hunted too and not only raised in captivity. General thing is that wild animals usually have a stronger taste than farm raised stuff, so you have to pair them with more robust sauces and wines. 

I am cooking a lot with game, mostly venison and wild boar - if you have any more specific question on how to work with game, feel free to ask.

elina martini likes this.
  3. elina martini

elina martini

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks a lot! Then I'll ask you if I have any other confusions. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

4. mikelm

mikelm

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Hey, don't forget squirrel. I know they're not as dramatic as wild boar but, chicken-fried, they can be pretty good.

Mike  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

5. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Never had squirrel. Rather uncommon to cook them here in Germany. I do know a few hunters, so I might just ask them to get me some. 

6. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Duck is classified fowl

7. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Language barrier here, Ed - English is my second language. We don't really make that distinction in German. Thanks for the tip, though, learned something more here. In German, "game" would translate as "Wild", having the subcategories of "Haarwild" - that would be game in the strict sense, I guess - and "Federwild" - fowl.

8. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Game can be any wild caught animal, the list is pretty endless outside commonly eaten items. I had a wood chuck digging under my house foundation as an example. He was dispatched and turned into a pot of stew. Had prairie dog stew last summer during our annual prairie dog hunt. I have eaten a lot of things many people would not try. And most have been pretty tasty.

9. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Mary - woodchuck is delicious as are most herbivores.  Some of the omnivores are good as well, but need extra help IMO.  Bear, racoon, etc.  Tried 'possum twice and just couldn't get it right.  We forgot muskrats - extra tasty those.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif