Gallimaufrey

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cape chef, Mar 3, 2002.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    While thumbing through some of my books looking for references for a project I came upon this word "Gallimaufrey"

It's an obsolete cuilinary term, corresponding ti the French wordgallimaufre' meaning a dish made with odds and ends, kind of like a hodge podge.

Dallas wrote (1877) in the kettner's book of the table the most elaborate and far reaching essays in culinary etymology which have ever been written.

He devoted 14 pages to the word.
    He treated other words and their history as well with great essays.

Even Hamlet's "miching malicho" and the Anglo-Indian mulligatawny. Which he precieved to be connected with by the "ma", meaning in his opinion a small bird or chicken and serving as an important piece of evidence for the previous existence of a language, possibly older than sanskirt.

Sanskirt was lost in medevil times but was the source of many kitchen words.

I love how 1 word can link together so many interesting findings
    cc

2. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Errr....CC

Not to sound dumb but....... WHAT is Sanskirt? :confused:

Jodi

3. brreynolds

brreynolds

Jodi:

Sanskrit is an ancient language from the region around India. I get conflicting information on it from dictionaries - some saying it's obsolete and some saying it's been in use since 1200 BC. Whichever, words descended from Sanskrit have found their way into many European languages. (I'm not an etymologist by trade, so I can't give you any examples offhand, but I'm sure we can find some English words with Sanskrit roots.)

BR

4. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
  5. brreynolds

brreynolds

Jodi:

Yeah. Sanskirt is French for a very interesting condition.

BR

6. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    :D very funny BR. I had to do a double take to get it. :lol:

Jodi