galantine / ballotine

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by thecytochromec, Jan 29, 2013.

1. thecytochromec

thecytochromec

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    I saw this video of Jaques Pepin scare the bones out of chicken. ( ) In  an effort to further my techniques in cooking I'd like to try the same. I plan on doing the same thing, with similar stuffing, but I have no idea how for how long or what temperature I should cook it at. Any recommendations? The bird I have is 4.11 lbs with gizzards. Thanks for helping make my dinner a success!

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It's much like any other stuffed bone-in bird really. Get internal temps up to 160, particularly in the stuffing.  Roasting is simplest but some people then feel the terms are misapplied (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/746570)

They can be poached, then flash roasted for browning and so on.

3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've never done a whole chicken but I've done the following recipe - except I did it with chicken breast (for someone who didn't like dark meat - if it was for me I would have used the legs). I find the instructions super easy and the result is quite fancy. Don't do the bacon if you don't want to - that way you can sear the chicken skin on the skillet instead.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  4. thecytochromec

thecytochromec

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Thank Phatch for reminding me to stick to the basics. I don't have a thermapen or anything yet but I'll make sure to grab an internal thermometer and some cotton butcher chord before I go home. Thanks for the cool tip French Fries! I haven't seen that blip from the F-Word. I always thought that Ramsey has the same cinematographers as Top Gear! So... well... British!

5. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Great Ramsay recipe FF.