Gadgets

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Hi Mez,

What's a "batti carni"?

I have a small gadget for julienning green beans.

Also love my little garlic mandoline. It gives me nice paper thin slices on one side and the other side purées it.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I love my mandoline and my food mill not sure if htey qualify as gadget though.

Kimmie I am curious where did you find a garlic mandoline??

Joined May 6, 2001
I would also love to know more about the garlic mandoline. I have a recipe for garlic "chips" that I want to try out on my mother ( she's a BIG fan of garlic anything). What is the source? How much? etc.

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: Svadhisthana ]

Joined Aug 29, 2000
A batti carne (spelling???) is what you use to flatten veal scallops, chicken breast, etc. I think carne/carni means meat. Batti may mean beat. I won't go there.....

Joined Dec 12, 2000
I have my tomato shark, it's basically a miniature mellon baller, with a serrated scoop, used for coring tomatoes. I also have a mini garlic slicer, I got it at liquidation world for $0.99, it's pretty cool, although the coolest gadget I've ever seen in the kitchen, is the pocket blow torch, I would really like to get one of those.

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: coolJ ]

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Gotcha Mez!

Sisi and Svadhisthana,

I had to send someone on holidays in Texas to pick one up for me at Williams-Sonoma. But don't cry, I think I saw it at La Soupière...

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined Mar 13, 2001
That's the one. Glad you found it.

In exchange, I want you to tell me how to do that "here" thing...pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase!!

:D

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined Apr 30, 2001
You will have to pry my stick blender out of my cold dead fingers. Yes, I could use a whisk for most of the things I do with it, but I love my stick blender. Also love my vacuum sealer. Allows me to buy big hunks of good cheese [good, not great - unless I buy by mail I'm not going to get great here] and reseal it so that it stays fresh for months, which is a good thing for us home cooks. I also use it to preserve bulk yeast so that I only spen $3-4 per year on yeast.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
I have a little battery powered milk frother, perfect for Capuccino.

It's like having a magic wand!

Hubby laughed at me when I bought it. Guess who's having the last laugh!

:D

Joined May 6, 2001
Nancya,
I love my stick blender too. So much so that I no longer consider it a "gadget". I think every kitchen should have one. ;)

Kimmie, I am going to two local gourmet kitchen supply stores and see if they have the garlic mandolin. Have you found any non-garlic related uses for it? I love to multitask my "toys"

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Yep! I also use it to purée ginger. Makes nice slices too on the reverse side.

Another thing I love is the "Great Grater" from Martha Stewart. Talk about multitasking, this thing grates cheese, chocolate, garlic, ginger, it's fantastic for zesting either an orange or a lemon or a lime. I paid way too much for it (canadian exchange and all) but it's a very versatile "toy".

:cool:

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

Joined Aug 14, 2000
My stock/soup/gumbo skimmer. I do not have the fine motor skills necessary to skim stock with a metal spoon or ladle.
Following the Path of Least Resistance....

PS Mezz, thank you for your restraint
:)

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

Joined Mar 9, 2000
A pie cooling rack. But, not for cooling crust or bread, the wire criss-cross pattern is perfect for pushing through avocados & hard boiled eggs for a perfect dice without making a mess with a chef's knife.

Joined Mar 13, 2001
Svad,

Used your garlic mandolin yet? Two months have passed since your purchase...
eek3.gif

Joined Jan 26, 2001
Spiral whisk for long narrow containers sold at Williams Sonoma. Looks very George Jetsen. Great for whipping in measuring cups. Love the tomato corer/strawberry corer too!

Latest posts

Top Bottom