Future or present concerns for accepting position..

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by buerrefondue, Jan 2, 2006.

1. buerrefondue

buerrefondue

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hi all... i am new to the forum and would very much like some advice.I live east of NYC, where i have been a successful line cook, working with some very talented chefs.i have always been blessed with good jobs, paying very well.however, now i have reached a moment in my growth,where i feel it is vital for me to continue learning, as well as putting myself on the map. i have been offered a position in a NYC well to do kitchen. the only thing is that the pay is alot less than what i could make on long island. so my question is simply... do i continue with kitchens that will pay well... or do i take a chance, make some sacrifices,and place myself in a position that will more than likely ensure a very decent career?? any opinions will be valued.

2. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I feel odd answering this as I am in my own career quandry at the moment! However I shall assume you are young enough that you are at the beginning of your career and are able to be flexible. If that is the case I would suggest you go for the NYC job. The experience and potential connections you could make will pay you far more in the long run than what you make now. In NYC there are a ton of people that can make things happen for you, far less so in L.I., a bedroom community. In the long run a resume that shows you being a line cook at regular restaurants will mostly allow you to continue as a line cook, it shows no real growth and at some point you will reach a ceiling in salary. Having top notch restaurants from the city under your belt can potentially translate to better opportunities and even more money in the long run. So I say if you can afford to grow, and learn, then the city is where you need to be!

3. buerrefondue

buerrefondue

Exp:
    Line Cook
    thank you for your reply... i am not very young, as i have been a line cook for five years, and having been in the industry for seven. i am a 34 year old with financial commitments... car, rent, diamond engagement ring on layaway... and as i will be able to just get by with paying the basics, the thought of losing the financial security i have had, makes me a little nervous. but i do agree with you that there is only so far one can go on L.I. and it would pay off more in the long run, if i do go to NYC.

4. laprise

laprise

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi,

I have been a chef for 20 years, and money cannot drive your career if you want to make it big...

BUT, if you are worth a certain amount, make sure that any employer know about it and pays for it...

If you offer comes from somewhere REALLY big, IE) Charlie Trotter's level, well take it reagardless, but if it's not REALLy big, don't sell yourself cheap. Always look at how many people with your qaulifications want this job, if this is a place where you know have a hard time finding good people, well adjust accordingly...

Be honest with yourself, are your skills really amazing, or are you average! If you are average, well your past chefs know that and won't give you much of refferences, but if there is something rare about your skills, they will sell you to the next place. You spend your career creating relationship that you can use later on...

This potential employer should be able to give you in writing what they see for your career. Just ask for it nicely. If asked right, they will see you as very serious about your career, and realise that you can afford to waist time at the wrong place AND be paid way less. The only way you accept way less, would be if it is worth the LEARNING experience. This employer has to understand that or forget it, they don't need you, they need someone who just want a job, where you want a career...

If you want to read my book:
    www.thechefinstead.ca/beachef.html

Sincerely,

A chef

5. buerrefondue

buerrefondue

Exp:
    Line Cook
    The offer is coming from a chef and company that is renowned for his eclectic creativity, as well as his reputation and training. is he Charlie Trotter level?... i could say yes. i do know that the offer is coming from a place where the Chef de Cuisine was employed by Charlie Trotter, and where the person making the offer told me that he is not in the business of training line cooks... but training chefs!!.. i would be inclined to take the job, mostly for the experience. i do know what i am worth, and i am aware of my talents, but i also know that i must prove what i am capable of before i can make the money i am now. besides, i just left a job where the broiler guy has been there for eight years... yes he took home close to eight bills a week...but he has been the broiler guy for eight years!!! i feel that NYC has alot to offer me, and i am bored of being afraid and hesitant to seek out the moments that can really assist me in this nutty career i chose!!!!:D