Fudge question

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by prissanna, Sep 3, 2005.

1. prissanna

prissanna

I have been cooking fudge for several months - recipe uses marshamallow cream, evaporated milk, butter, etc. It has always turned out perfect until now. This is not a recipe that you have to bring to a soft ball stage. After you bring it to a boil, you cook for 5 minutes and then stir in pb chips, then you put it in your prepared container. Now it doesn't seem to FIRM up. It's firm by not FIRM. What can I be doing wrong? I've read and reread my instructions to make sure I didn't skip something. :cry:

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Welcome! I hope you'll stick around for more than just our responses to this one question. :)

How's the weather where you are? That can make a difference in candy-making, if it's more humid than other times when you've made the same recipe.

Are you using all the same brands of ingredients? Variations from brand to brand could also make a difference.

3. prissanna

prissanna

I'm using the same brands. How are you supposed to know when the weather is JUST RIGHT? LOL Should I try cooking it a bit longer? I did another batch Mon. and although it's a bit firmer it's still not like it used to be. :crazy:

4. chefalexander

chefalexander

Is it possible that one of the ingredient brands has changed its recipe or ingredients? For example, if the marshmello company changed its formula, it could affect your results. Also--are you using EXACTLY the same butter everytime? Butter variations (salted, unsalted, light, creamed......) could also change the outcome.

5. prissanna

prissanna

Wow! I hadn't realized so many things could make a difference. I'm not POSITIVE that I'm using the EXACT same butter. I'll pay attention to get everything the same from now on. I did another batch Wed. and it turned out better - I cooked it 30 seconds longer. I'm going to get fat with all these trial batches. :blush: