fry celery root?

Joined Dec 1, 2002
I am curious, as I have little experience with celery root/ celeriac, can it be fried crisp like other roots?

Joined May 26, 2001
Probably. You just have to cut it in extremely thin slices, which could be difficult. Try a mandoline, a heavy French one, not the plastic Japanese version.

Joined Nov 6, 2001
iron chef
I have fried it before..chips mostly. You might have to salt and drain larger pieces

pat

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
You also want to fry at as low a temp as possible, around 285-300. That way the celery root will stay nice and white, otherwise, they will get too dark before they have a chance to crisp up.

Joined Apr 26, 2001
... like the one I've sometimes seen for french fries? It calls for an initial frying in low-temperature oil essentially to cook the fries, then a second frying in high-temperature oil to re-heat and brown them. It sounds like you're suggesting this might work for the celery root.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
No, it is not a double frying like french fries, it is more a longer, slower frying. This method works well for chips.

Joined Feb 27, 2003
i actually just saw an episode of "molto mario" where mario was frying celery. it was a favorite of his uncle's. he dipped the celery pieces in egg and flour and fried in olive oil. i was channel surfing so i didn't see what seasoning he added at the end.

Joined Jan 14, 2003
I've used the celeriac crisps on various occasions and they go very well with game dishes. You can also cook it and make a puree which is nice and sweet.
To make the crisps you just slice it on a mandoline as thin as you can. Then wash it in cold water and dry with a towel as best as possible. Fry in fryer (same temperature as chips) for about 2 to 3 minutes. Don't forget to season them when you take them out.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Brown sugar, celery and celery root (celeriac) are two different things. Celery root is a starchy root, more along the lines of a potato. It has a hard, brown, hairy skin that must be peeled and a white (off-white) starchy interior. It it used more like a root vegetable such as potato, turnip, parsnip than like celery.

Joined Feb 27, 2003
my bad... i skimmed the post literally at the same time the show was on. that's why i'm getting into pastry rather than culinary! LOL!

Top Bottom