Frustrated and exasperated.....

Joined May 1, 2019
Maybe... but it’s a 4 yr old p.o.s. with the memory of a goldfish. That said, the one thing it does well is phone calls, which is what I want it for in the first place.

So, phones for phoning, and tablets and real keyboards for writing. Has a certain logic to it, yes?
No not really you just sound old saying what you're saying. Get a new phone that's from this year. Probably not a flip phone maybe something bigger for your Vienna fingers

Last edited:

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
I do not like using the phone and when you hit your 50's believe it is frustrating because you can't see the screen very well. Thanks for the update on the tablet it seems like this is a common thing. I visit ChefTalk almost exclusively on my desktop with a keyboard I do not use the ipad or phone. In general I find the web experience on mobile and tablets to be slower. @foodpump thanks for the info I will relay this to the team.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
No not really you just sound old saying what you're saying. Get a new phone that's from this year. Probably not a flip phone maybe something bigger for your Vienna fingers
@ShelteredBugg1 I don't think this comment is helpful lets stick to the topic and lets not assume that that someone can just run out and afford a new phone. Especially in this time.

Joined Oct 10, 2005

Uhhh... why? A new phone will still have 3/32” sized keys.....

But you’re right, I am old, 56 to be exact and if there’s one thing that pizzes me off is fumbling for glasses in order to look at the screen.

Hope you never get to be like that....

Then again, my total costs per month are under $20/ mth for running my 4 yr old, non flip phone p.o.s., and this is because I rarely make more than two calls per week. So why spend any more money on a device, that for me, is as useful as an ashtray on a Harley, as aggravating as a neighbor’s chihuahua, and automatically assumes you know how to operate it?

Yeah yeah I know, it’s unimaginable to live life without a phone. I’m a crusty old fart for even suggesting it and probably a Luddite living in a cave anyway. But once you get older and more cynical you realize people only contact you because they want something. And it’s just easier and diplomatic to boot if you avoid using the damn thing in the first place.

I wasn’t always like this, 5 years ago “they” ( cellphone provider) tried to ding me for $26,000 for roaming fees. Yes, that’s right, 26 grand. 9 mths later we settled for $260 and I threw that
phone away. So, a “ simpler” one with goldfish memory . Of course my workplace figures that since they have my #, they own my azz. Calls at 2:40 am: alarm went off, you live closest, check it out. No, no crack addict passed out in front of the bar, just some “ happy birthday” balloon being blown around by the a/c and triggering the motion sensor. Mind you if it was a crack addict, I could have called the cops who could have shown up a few hours later....

Conclusion? Leave a message on the answering speil that tells the listener that you access your phone twice a day, leave the damn thing in a drawer, and enjoy life.

Joined May 25, 2015
Ha! I'm 74 and I don't consider myself a Luddite. I'm old enough to know how it was and I can tell you that new doesn't always mean improved. More than likely it's only making someone or some corporation lots of money because they are good at making people think they have to have it.

So don't knock it unless you've been there to see how it used to be.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Hey All this thread is to help us understand bugs in the system not to talk about someone's age. Lets stick to the topic otherwise it became a pain for us to find out the details or the issue.

@foodpump I believe safari updated recently if you updated that coupled with the age of your ipad may be a factor. Small tip I have learned and not just from ChefTalk. If you are typing anything that matters which is more than a few sentences do so in a document that so that you can re-post it if something happens.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
I do not like using the phone and when you hit your 50's believe it is frustrating because you can't see the screen very well. Thanks for the update on the tablet it seems like this is a common thing. I visit ChefTalk almost exclusively on my desktop with a keyboard I do not use the ipad or phone. In general I find the web experience on mobile and tablets to be slower. @foodpump thanks for the info I will relay this to the team.
Not sure if this is a thing since I never access the site on mobile or tablet but does the site have a "mobile" version that automatically shows up? I know some sites that do this you can switch to "desktop" viewing mode in the browser settings, sometimes this helps.

Top Bottom