Fruit Smoothies

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by pastachef, Apr 28, 2001.

1. pastachef

pastachef

Has anyone tried the new fruit smoothies? The college girls I work for make them nonstop. In a blender they put a container of a fruity yogurt, a banana or a couple of strawberries, three of four ice cubes and an ounce or two of skim milk. Puree for a minute or two. They are as delicious as any dessert, healthy, filling for hours, and you can even add a little tofu for protein. I've got my whole family hooked on them. Especially my son. He's big on healthy eating and working out. ;)

2. kimmie

kimmie

Of course!

1 cup orange juice
    1 cup strawberries
    1 cup low fat yoghurt (we have Damafro here, extra firm)
    1 banana and a few ice cubes

Very healthy for adults as well!

:rolleyes:

3. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My favorite post gym workout or after any hot exercise or on a hot day drink is this. I buy fresh strawberries hull and wash and halve them, cut up canteloupe, honeydew if I have, apples and bananas and any other fruit that I may have lying around. Put a few chunks of each into baggies and then freeze them. When I use them I put a bagful of frozen fruits into the blender, add 1 ice cube if you like a crunch, some orange juice, a spoonful or two of honey and a splash of milk. Blend to a slushy consistency and enjoy. If you like add a splash of club soda or ginger ale. Guaranteed pick me up and brain freeze. :D

[ April 29, 2001: Message edited by: chrose ]

4. pastachef

pastachef

Afra, They're so easy to make. Don't you have a blender? You can put whatever you want in them.

5. kimmie

kimmie

Rhubarb Smoothie

Prepare a syrup with 1 1/2 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar.

Cut 1 lb. of rhubarb in 1-inch pieces and boil them for about 10 minutes in the syrup. Strain and cool.

In the blender, put the rhubarb along with:

1 cup strawberries
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup yoghurt
    2 tbsp. honey

Whiz until smooth. Add 6 ice cubes, one at a time, blend until smooth and serve.

6. pastachef

pastachef

I don't think it would work without a blender, Afra, because the blender also crushes the ice. Maybe you could borrow one from a relative or neighbor. Also, they are very inexpensive. :)

7. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

You might be able to do it with a "boat motor" they can crush ice and are inexpensive.
    Svadhisthana :D

8. kimmie

kimmie

The Smoothies Deck : 50 Recipes for High-Energy Refreshment

Book Description
    The Smoothies Deck features 50 surefire recipes for blended fruit drinks. Shown in tempting photos, Cool Hand Lime, Mango Madness, and the Sunset Sipper are just the beginning! The sturdy cards travel easy and clean up fast. Punch blend, frappé, or mix? It's all delicious with The Smoothies Deck.

Here

;)

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

9. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I, as is the case with many chefs I know, eat terribly, when it comes to nutrition. I am lucky to sit down to one meal a day, and the stuff I eat on the run is, how shall we say....less than nutitious. I have started doing the smoothie thing in the morning along with vitamins, and I really feel the difference in my energy level. I also found that adding wheat germ is a great source of dietary fiber. It doesn't affect the flavor, but does give it kind of a gritty bite.

10. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

Local health food stores carry a lot of healthy "additives" for smoothies, like vitamins, wheat germ, etc. I like doing a smoothie with yogurt, soymilk, and frozen fruits. If you use the fruit frozen instead of ice, it won't water down the final product.

11. kimmie

kimmie

TROPICAL SMOOTHIES
    Serves 4

1 mango, peeled, seeded, and diced (1/2 cup)
    1/2 papaya, peeled, seeded, and sliced (1 cup)
    1 ripe banana, peeled
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 cups ice In a blender, blend all ingredients until smooth and well combined. Serve immediately.

VIETNAMESE SMOOTHIE

1/2 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into chunks (1/2 ripe avocado or 1/2 small ripe papaya can be used instead)
    1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
    2 cups ice
    1 tablespoon sugar, plus more to taste

Pulse ingredients in blender or food processor until ice is puréed. Add sugar to taste.

:p

12. pastachef

pastachef

Wow, Kimmie! You have posted some wonderful Smoothie recipes to this board. As in Pete's case, I am an undernourished and harried cook, so these things are healthy and filling for hours :)

13. kimmie

kimmie

Thanks Pastachef. Hubby loves them so I'm always looking for new ideas!

:p

14. kimmie

kimmie

15. shimmer

shimmer

I love smoothies, but I hate the kind that are icey. That just might be me. You can get the same chilly effect without the dilluted flavor by freezing at least one of the fruits you're putting in it! (I know freezing fruit was mentioned, but I've tried it both ways and I really think the flavor is superior without ice).

When the kitchen I used to work in got too hot, I once dumped a cup of ice, espresso, chocolate syrup, cream, and cinnamon into the blender and made myself a frappucino of sorts. It helps cool you down!!!

Hey Afra, since you don't have a blender, try making some kind of fruit juice (lemonade, limeade, orange juice, etc) and stick fresh fruit in it for a few hours. It will be fruity and chunky and delicious without the smoothy texture.

~~Shimmer~~

16. kimmie

kimmie

Peaches and Cream Smoothie

Ingredients:
    1 ripe peach, peeled
    1/2 ripe banana
    1 tsp. fructose or sugar
    1/2 - 1 cup nonfat evaporated milk
    1/2 tsp. almond extract
    5-6 ice cubes

Place fruit in the blender and enough milk to just cover the fruit.
    Add the remainder of the ingredients and blend until smooth.