Fructose allergy/Icing Color Help

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by sueinaz, Mar 2, 2006.

1. sueinaz

sueinaz

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have to decorate a child's birthday cake with pink and purple colors. The problem is that the gel colors I planned on using (Wilton) have fructose as one of the ingredients and the person is allergic to fructose. Does anyone know what other product I can use instead? I need to be able to purchase this asap. Thank you.

2. cakerookie

cakerookie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Have you tried Americolor? What about regular buttercream colored with food coloring? Sorry cannot be much more help. But I am sure someone will give you something you can use..

3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    sueinez,
    Wow, tuff. I wish I were at the shop, I'd look. I'm thinking a lake might not have the fructose.
    I'm gonna google some to see if I can find something.
    If your looking, look at the lakes instead of dyes. They will be on the pastry ingredients purveyor sites. Look at the cocoa butter already colored.
    edit, dyes-water based , lakes-oil based

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    sueinez,
    I'm stumped. Sorry. I will be in the bakery early tomarrow. I will certainly look if you want me to. PM you can call or what ever. I'm not so sure that my granules,powder,or chocolate colors have ingredients. I even looked on the diabetic sites.
    If your in a real jam, I'm guessing colored sugar free candies can be melted down.. or strawberry, blueberry,type sugar free syrups(pancake)
    sorry
    pan

5. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
  6. scott123

scott123

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Walmart's private label (great value) food coloring has no fructose. Red, blue, yellow and green.