Frozen Storage

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nadeest, Apr 2, 2011.

1. nadeest

nadeest

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Would I be able to safely freeze jalapenos that had been filled with cream cheese and baked, then wrapped with a strip of bacon, for later consumption?

2. nadeest

nadeest

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Oops, I had wrapped the strip of bacon around the half-shell jalapeno, before I had baked it.  I neglected to mention that.

3. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    The pepper will get really mushy but they do make a nice stuffing for chicken thighs or...

4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Since you do not have flash freezing equipment, I would say no. Cream cheese wil throw water as will pepper and be soft and soggy

5. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hm, guess I just don't know what I'm doing, I freeze stuffed bell and chile peppers fairly regularly without, at least so far,,much of a problem. I will concede that I have not used cream cheese in the stuffing so far, will have to try that.

Now, TBS, I blanch the peppers first (chilled in ice water) and the stuffing is completely cooked or does not need cooking. Both peppers and stuffing are cool/cold when stuffed and ai chill in refer for at least 2-4 hours before going into the freezer

6. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    This is the correct way to blanch first, not from a raw state.

7. nadeest

nadeest

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Thank you, now I know.