Frozen solid

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by redvan, Feb 13, 2018.

1. redvan

redvan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello again,
    While cleaning out the depths of my garage freezer, I came upon a package of lamb loin chops (12) I remember packaging some time ago. Unfortunately, it was far longer than i thought.... 10 years to be exact.

I frequently re-inventory the freezer as my wife never updates the inventory sheet but rarely go into the depths as what I inventory is always near the surface consisting of chicken, steaks and other frequently used items. The bottom of the freezer holds summer items like pork shoulders and other such treats.

Now, the package shows no signs whatsoever of freezer burn or any other damage and still retains the vacuum. They look as pristine today as the day I vacuum sealed them.

And the big question is; are they still edible?

Red.

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I'm sure it will be fine. I've had stuff out of my in law's freezer that I know was there before I married my wife, and I didn't die! :D

redvan and Pat Pat like this.
  3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Maybe still edible, but why? I’d be wrenching...

But you might want to get a bit more disciplined about your inventory system. :)

4. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Definitely edible. I've kept meats frozen for much longer than that.

5. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Probably is edible. But that said, I would never, ever, ever sell it to a customer, nor would I eat it or cook it for my family.

On the other hand, our dog is fair game, provided he stays outdoors as there might be a good chance of the " liqui-farts" for the next 48 hrs.....

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    No way no way. I'd throw it out. You have survived for 10 years without this lamb and without suffering from the financial impact of not eating it. Why take a chance? I wouldn't.

I know a lot of people like to keep their freezers full but I find that the more there is in my freezer the less I'm likely to use what's inside of it. We do a freezer cleanse every couple of months and just use up whatever is in there.

7. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Well, there is only one way to find out. The question is are you willing to risk a little food poisoning to find out the answer to your question? If you do take the risk, I agree with @foodpump , don't involve your family, friends or anyone other than yourself.

Cheers!

8. fatcook

fatcook

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    While they may be freezer burnt and possibly not taste very good, they are not going to be "bad" as in food poisoning. If they were safe going into the freezer they will be safe coming out.

Pat Pat likes this.
  9. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I agree with fatcook.
    They may not taste well, but food poisoning doesn't really come into play (as long as you treat them well after defrosting obviously).
    I would defrost in the fridge and then check what they look and smell like. and then decide.
    I have some old stuff in the freezer, but nothing older than 2 years... Got one of them old freezers that need defrosting once in a while. Even though I do not like doing it, it is a good point to check what's all in there :)

10. redvan

redvan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I agree. I go through it about every two months, less during the summer, to take inventory but the subject of this post somehow got overlooked.

Red