Chef Forum banner

Frozen Italian Dessert

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  lisbet 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me, what are the differences in ingredients for just plain icecream, gelato, and spumoni (I know spumoni is made up of 3 flavors - chocolate, cherry & pistachio)?

As a teenager I had spumoni in an Italian restaurant and fell in love with it instantly. Have been yearning for it ever since.

Is spumoni something that can be made in my own kitchen with an icecream maker? Think spumoni recipe would be the richer of the three. Right?

#2 ·
Ice cream is made with cream and/or milk, sugar, flavoring, and emulsifiers/stabilizers.  Styles of ice cream vary widely.  For example French style ice cream is made with egg yolks in the form of custards.  In the US ice cream must legally have a minimum fat and milk solid content.

Gelato differs in that it uses only milk which means lower fat and lower milk solids.  It takes a precise sugar content to keep Gelato from freezing solid and this makes gelato somewhat less sweet than typical ice cream.  Gelato is generally denser than ice cream with less air frozen into it due to a lack of cream.

Spumoni is a dish composed of three flavors of ice cream.  You could make it in your ice cream maker by making each flavor of ice cream and putting them together with any nuts or fruit that your recipe calls for.  If made in the style of custard any ice cream will be very rich.

Frozen yogurt also doesn't use cream.  Typical ingredients are milk, sugar, yogurt, flavoring, and an array of stabilizers which often feature gelatin.  Like gelato its a healthy alternative to ice cream.

An ice cream maker can make any of the above.  And can also make sorbets and sherbets.

#4 ·
"benway" and "skatz85" Many thanks for the responses..

I thought that perhaps there are special recipes for making spumoni, rather than just plain icecream formulas.....since I do notice that spumoni has a denser (as skatz says), creamier texture and tastes much richer. Thought that there must be special recipes for making the spumoni creams. I have looked all over the internet, but all that I find tells me to make the bombe with regular ice cream.

Is there a specific recipe for making the spumoni cream to fill a bombe mold? It would make a spectacular finish to a holiday meal, especially for Easter.

#5 ·
i tried the cornstarch recipe i found 2 cups hALF AND HALF, 2T. of cornstarch make a slurry in some water, about a 1/2 cup sugar maybe a lil more. combine sugar and liquid then add the slurry and bring to boil lower the temp and cook out the starch. make the base cool it and add flavoring to it. it came pretty well for my 1st time but make sure to cook out the starch. or you can try a custard type with 5 yolks to a pint of cream, milk. about 1/2 cup sugar. just combine eggs and sugar and beat until they are pale then while the milk is heating up, temper the milk into the eggs then cook in a double boiler. make sure you watch it carefully or it will brake.

practice and make a recipe that meets your needs. after you master your base the only difference is the flavoring or other items you add. sometime i fold in some mascapone or some alc. so its just testing

#6 ·
Thank You So Very Much, Skatz!!........Think you have hit upon the basics of the formula dead-on!  

Most recipes need a bit of "tweaking" anyway to adjust to individual requirements and tastes, but you have come up with the major ingredients....many, many thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.