From one desk job to a kitchen

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by ayvee, Mar 1, 2006.

1. ayvee

ayvee

Exp:
    At home cook
    hi! I was wondering if anyone can help me here.
    I'm from the Philippines and I actually have a business degree. I'm currently working in a manufacturing company but I really really want to move to a new career meaning the kitchen. Tuition for cooking schools here will cost me aroung half million pesos and I can't really afford that right now. Unfortunately, I've tried applying to several restaurants and fast foods here but they all seem to be intimidated by my business degree and my lack of proper schooling in the cooking area probably turned them off.

Can anyone sort of guide me on what to do to break into the cooking career? :cry:

2. plongeur

plongeur

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Read my 'A year back in Culinary school' posts here, I gave up on 25 years as a journalist to start in cooking. Got a job as a 'plongeur', washer up, to pay my way through culinary school and get some great experience on the way.
    Where, exactly, do you expect a Business Degree to enable you to start in a professional kitchen?

3. laprise

laprise

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi,
    I hear you, culinary school can cost lots of money, but it's worth it...

Money does not make great cooks, skills does... remember that...

Before you start on a culinary career, I strongly suggest that you go try working in a restaurant for a few days, even if you have to do it for free... Cooking carrer is not for everybody. After 2 or 3 days, you should know if this cooking stuff is for you...

A while back I worked a cruise ships, and all my cooks were from your area... great workers!

Good luck:beer:

4. ayvee

ayvee

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi! It's actually one of the first few threads that I've read.
    And honestly, it sort of encourged me to pursue my long long buried dream.
    Funny about that Business Degree of mine, even if I tell those HR people that I would agree to a big pay cut, they wouldn't hire me just becuase I was "over qualified" with my BD while so under qualified with my cooking skills. :confused:

I've taken up a few short courses on commercial baking and cake baking/decorating.

5. emhahn

emhahn

All I can say is, get ready to stand on your feet for long hours!

Your feet are going to hurt. Your knees are going to hurt. And your hip is going to hurt.

Don't worry, you'll get used to it in time.......

Eric
    http://www.restaurantedge.com

6. yuns555

yuns555

Exp:
    Just Graduated From Culinary School
    I'm in same boat. I'm in the I.T industry but can't stand my job. I've been a foodie for a long time and considering going to culinary school...but the bills!:cry: