from Milwaukee

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by sam, Oct 22, 2004.

1. sam

sam

Hi! I'm Sam. Not a pro by any measure. Bread baking is my greatest pleasure. Accomplishing an artisinal loaf I can be proud of is no mean feat in a home kitchen, but I'm getting there!

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello Sam, and welcome to Chef Talk Cafe!

I hope you've already discovered the great baking forums here. We have some ardent home bakers here, so you're bound to find a home here.

By the way, I'm in Pewaukee. What bakeries and restaurants do you like in our area? I'm always looking for good ideas.

Welcome!
    Mezzaluna

3. sam

sam

Wow, Mezzaluna! Small world! To tell you the truth, I have not found a lot to love about the bread from most area bakeries. Most seem to be chains now and there's nothing unique about any of them. I used to love the hard rolls from La Boulangerie in the Third Ward. Good bread can be found at Sendik's on Downer. They get La Brea dough shipped in from CA and finish it on-site, and they also have a selection of the very best from local independent bakeries. Go early on a Saturday for the best selection. I don't go out to restaurants much, but am trying a new cafe this week: Mondo Bros. on Humboldt. I've been hearing good things.

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I agree about the locally available retail outlets, at least where I live. I must say I think Miller's challah is good- we had a 6-pounder for our wedding, and the 115 guests devoured every crumb.

Mondo sounds interesting- we'll add it to the list. Tonight we're going to Mr. B's Steak House, spurred on by a gift certificate. Otherwise, it would not be in our usual list of places to go.