From Field to Family 2003

Joined May 14, 2001
Attention all midwest cheftalk fans!

It's time for From Field to Family 2003 !

Here's the schedule, hope you can find the time to stop and visit!

Learn more at slowfoodiowa.org

Thursday September 11th

Benefit Culinary Walk

5:00-9:00pm, Downtown Iowa City

Seven food establishments work their magic with the bright flavors of locally produced food. Enjoy the delicious results as you stroll the stations in downtown Iowa City. Each plate will be unique and will reflect the skill of the chef and the fresh local foods of the season. Participating restaurants: Atlas World Grill, Devotay, Iowa Memorial Union Catering, Motley Cow Cafe, New Pioneer Co-op, 126 and The Red Avocado.

ADVANCE TICKETS ONLY! Tickets will be available at New Pioneer Co-op @ $35 per person. Proceeds benefit Field to Family, Table to Table and Slow Food Iowa.

Friday September 12th

The Politics of Food

Book-signing by Gary Nabhan, Sept. 12 noon to 1 pm, IC New Pioneer Co-op, Washington and Van Buren Streets, IC

Gary Nabhan is director of the Center for Sustainable Environments at NAU and author of Coming Home to Eat and 16 other books, and a Slow Food Convivium leader in Alta Arizona. Come meet Gary, whose books reveal him to be a humorous person and an original, even daring, thinker. Free.

Politics of Food Production: a Panel Discussion 6:00-7:30pm 10 S. Gilbert Street, Lower Level
Join us for a spirited panel discussion "How Does Politics Impact Local and Sustainable Food Production?" The panel will include author Gary Paul Nabhan, who wrote Coming Home to Eat and Singing the Turtles to Sea, and Kent Whealy, who with wife Diane founded the Seed Savers Exchange, dedicated to preserving heirloom plant varieties and to protecting the genetic integrity of our food. David Burt, co-owner and executive chef at The Red Avocado, an Iowa City restaurant serving organic vegetarian fare and Francis Thicke, owner of Radiance Dairy, an organic dairy farm in Fairfield, Iowa will also serve on the panel. Chef Kurt Michael Friese, Director of Slow Food Iowa, will moderate. A reception featuring locally produced foods will follow. Free and open to all.

Book Reading and Signing, 8:00-9:00pm, 10 S. Gilbert Street, Lower level
Gary Paul Nabhan will read excerpts from his books, Coming Home to Eat and Singing the Turtles to Sea in the lower level of 10 South Gilbert Street in Downtown Iowa City. Free and open to all.

Saturday September 13th

Chefs' Demo at the Farmers' Market

9:00am-12:00 noon, Chauncey Swan Park, Washington and Van Buren, IC

(next to the IC Farmers' Market)

Join our talented local chefs as they select their favorite items from the market and prepare it in an outdoor cooking class.

~ 9:00 am: Eta Burken of Bon Vivant Culinary Arts (Iowa City)~

~ 10:00 am: David Zaghloulof of Cafe Z (Iowa City) ~

~11:00 am: Soleil Banguid of Africa N'Zungu (Iowa City)

Free and open to all.

Local Farm Tour
Fae Ridge Farm, 5140 Rapid Creek Road, Iowa City, 1:00-3:00 pm
Local certified organic grower Janette Ryan-Busch will open her farm and craft shop to visitors from 1 to 3pm and give a short talk on The Connections Between the Farm and the Community at 1:30pm. Free and open to all.

Szathmary Collection of Rare Cookbooks

2nd Floor Main Conference Room in the University of Iowa Library (South End) from 2:30pm-4:30pm.

A portion of the unique manuscripts and books of Chef Louis Szathmary is housed in the University of Iowa. Come see highlights of this exceptional collection of culinary texts dating back to 1499 and numbering over 15,000 items. Free and open to all.

Benefit Slow Food Harvest Dinner
Jordan Creek Bison Ranch, 6:00-10:00 pm
Join us for a delicious and satisfying barbecue of Smoked Niman Ranch Pork and Jordan Creek Bison prepared by Chef Kurt Michael Friese of Devotay. The vegetarian option will be prepared by Chef David Burt of The Red Avocado; dessert by Chef Eta Burken of Bon Vivant Culinary Arts. Beer by Stone City Brewing of Solon and Goose Island Brewery of Chicago. Coffee by local roaster Cafe Del Sol of Iowa City. Guest speakers include naturalist Gary Paul Nabhan discussing A Sense of Place: Eating Locally Means Investing In and Tasting Your Homeland and Seed Savers Exchange Founder Kent Whealy on The Future of the Heirloom Seed Movement .

ADVANCE TICKETS ONLY! Tickets will be available at New Pioneer Co-op. $50 per person, $270 for a group of 6. Proceeds benefit Field to Family, Table to Table and Slow Food Iowa.

Sunday September 14th

Wild Mushroom Foray
Hickory Hill Park, 9am, Bloomington St entrance
Come for a wild mushroom foray at Hickory Hill Park with noted mycologists Dean Abel and Damian Pieper. If the weather cooperates, there should be an interesting variety of fungus out. We hope to gather and identify edible wild mushrooms. The specimens will be identified and displayed on a table at the Coralville New Pioneer Co-op Mezzanine after 11:30 am. Free and open to all.

Open House

New Pioneer Co-op, City Center Square, Highway 6 West, Coralville 11:00am-2:00pm

A chance to gather in the spirit of From Field to Family. Meet some of the sponsors and participants of this year's event in the mezzanine of the Coralville Co-op. Refreshments by local chefs, Cafe del Sol coffee, organic wine sampling, information tables. Free and open to all.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Wow! This looks like a great festival. I just wish I still lived in the QC, Kurt, so I could zip out for some great food and what I'm sure will be some excellently prepared bison! :bounce:

Joined Aug 11, 2000
What a great event!!! I got my invitation last week, hmmmm....Nabhan is a super speaker as is Kent the seed-saver guy.. Who is leading the shroom foray? There are some hunters that come in from Iowa that I met at several Mo. shroom forays.Looks like you have a really good line up. This is asuper busy month for me, Id love to pop up though. How a
was your St. Louis trip?

Top Bottom