From Farm to Table-Top: An Innovative Restaurant Concept

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by ddenay, Apr 23, 2010.

1. ddenay

ddenay

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Just wondering about this new trend in restaurants. It is the third I have read about so far and being from North Carolina you know I am going to take a tour of the farm this fall when I visit for my book signing. I'll report back. Do you think this is a concept that will catch on? I'd love to hear your thoughts and those of the "guest" chef in May....

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I wouldn't call it a new trend, just the logical extension of a trend that's been going on for decades at least.

We're all aware of the farm-to-table concept insisted on by many restauranteurs. And many chefs, even in urban locations, maintain their own kitchen gardens. 

Throughout the country, there are restaurants that have actual farms attached---most often these are part of inns and resort hotels, such as the Blackberry Inn near Knoxville, where my good friend John Coykendall supervises a farm that grows a significant part of the inn's produce---all of it heirloom varieties.

This is the first I've heard, though, of a restaurant producing all its own food. It'll be interesting to see how they make out.

3. nichole

nichole

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    I guess this is because of the health craze too.  Nowadays people are more conscious about what they eat, how its processed and where it comes from.  Farm to kitchen places is a good way of ensuring that you get healthy food. 

4. schmoozer

schmoozer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi, perhaps the concept is new in some parts of the country, but it's been going on here (San Francisco Bay Area) for decades.  One may argue that the idea started with Alice Waters back in the late sixties, and since then has gained a great deal of momentum.  However, even before Alice there were restaurants in Northern California that were providing diners with meals made with local produce, dairy, and meat, some of which was actually grown in the restaurants own garden.  Margaret Fox of Café Beaujolais in Mendocine was a big user of local provisions and also used things grown in the Café garden.  She may have proceeded Alice, but I'm not sure about that.  There were a number of places in Mendocino and Humboldt counties that were growing and raising their own provisions back in the early to mid 1970s, if not earlier.