Fried liver

Joined Mar 18, 2021
I like fried liver, but first time I tried it years ago. Didn't turn out that well and haven't tried since. Recently tried looking for a recipe, but didn't like the way they were done.

No coating in flour. No soaking in milk

Finally found one, but minor glitch.

Part of the instructions for liver about 3/8" thick. I prefer it under 1/2", so close enough

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet to medium heat, then add the onions and sauté very quickly for about 1-2 minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
  2. Reduce the heat and add the liver steaks to the skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes (depending on the thickness of the liver steaks) until the bottom sides turn a little brown around the edges, then flip to cook on the other side for 3 more minutes.
Problem is. Reduce to what temp? Didn't say and an old posting

Med. on my stove is 6, so what would be a "Reduce the heat" temp be? 4?

I like mine with a little pink in the center. Would the liver cook at 4?

Thanks

DON

Joined Mar 1, 2017
It means to reduce the temperature to something less than medium like medium low. In your case, somewhere around 3 and 4. If your stove is gas, I would start with 3. If electric, 4.

As the liver cooks, adjust heat accordingly, if necessary. The doneness of the liver would be determined more by time rather than temperature. Generally speaking, for a piece 1/2 thick, probably about 2-3 minutes per side. You want to make sure the exterior is seared while not overcooking the interior. This would require a temp that's a bit higher.

Pro Tip: When you place the liver in the pan, make sure that its room temperature or, at least, not straight from the fridge. Cold meat saps the heat in the pan and can cause the meat to stick. If the meat doesn't begin to sizzle the moment it touches the pan, the pan isn't hot enough.

If you're unsure about the doneness, you can always trim a piece off and check it.

Cheers! :)

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Just fry on both sides until cook to the amount of doneness you like. I would always fry after dredging in seasoned flour. You just have to make sure you have enough fat in the pan to fry it.......Have you ever tried Chicken Livers ?????????????

Joined Mar 18, 2021
OK, Thanks for the info. My original thought was turn the heat higher. Every time I poked it with a fork. Just kept oozing red, so cranked it higher.

Ended up having pizza for dinner

As I have electric. Will try it around 4 and see how it goes

Sunday dinner or pizza again

chefbillyb - missed the part about no flour, no milk. My mother never did it when she made it, so following her method

Should have paid more attention to the liver instructions. At least the prime rib recipe turned out great

Thanks

DON

Joined Dec 18, 2010
One other thing, Don... I don’t know where that recipe came from but the onions probably won’t be done enough if only 1 or 2 minutes.

Joined Mar 18, 2021
Thanks Brian. Onions only there to add some flavor along with a little salt and pepper. I scrape them off the liver, so will only add a small amount and cook a bit longer.

Other choice is use onion powder

DON

Joined Apr 18, 2021
i love liver dishes but precook onion in a pan until caramelized, splash of white wine, then cover with Jus or Demi glace, and let reduce until thick enough. adding some herbs as bay leaf, thyme or rosemary or Majoran. When it comes to cook liver we tranch about 160g of veal into thin stripes, coated gently with flour then panfried on high heat for about 1-2 minutes on one side, less than a minute on other side, inside should be rare don't overcook! add butter the onion jus season with salt and pepper and serve.

Joined Apr 19, 2021
I love cooking liver and my mom gave me a nice receipt of it - it tastes amazing. First of all, I fry it to make it semi-ready. I add only a little bit of pepper and salt. While it's cooking, I caramelize onion and then add it to the liver. To the mix of liver and onion, I add a little bit of garlic and sour cream and mix it all together. After it, I put everything to the oven, and cook till it's ready. The liver is very soft and tastes amazing

Joined Oct 31, 2012
The way I learned to cook liver was to cook bacon first until crispy. Remove bacon and reserve some of the fat. Add slivered onions, cook till soft. Set aside onions. Add reserved bacon fat to the pan, heat till quite hot, add liver that's been coated in seasoned flour. About 3 minutes, flip, another 3 minutes. Liver should be pink in middle. Place liver on plate and top with onions and the crisp bacon.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the bacon. I thought that was universal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom